I’m talking here about 10:40:5k duathlons and assuming it’s not in the middle of summer.
I used to drink lots of liquids and I used to best drink them in large volumes at a time.
After trial and error and reading a bit I’ve found that to be wrong!
First pre-race hydration is important. Start really focusing on drinking a couple of litres a day and make sure you wee is clear or near-clear.
Secondly drinking a lot in one go leeches salts from your body. So spread the pre-race drinking out. During the race have a sip every 7-10 minutes or a gulp every 15 – ideally an isotonic drink eg Lucozade Sport.
Thirdly drinking whilst running is difficult. Don’t bother. Just do it on the bike leg. I’ve got one of those aero bottles with a straw on the front of the bike. One of those full of isotonic is enough.
- My First Duathlon (nickmomrik.com)
- The Importance of Hydration, in and out of the gym (fitnessregime.wordpress.com)
- 5 miles a short run? It is for a marathon runner… (londonmarathontraining.wordpress.com)
- Marathon Training Runs #3 and 4 (cgoodman3.wordpress.com)
- Trail Running and an update (dabigleap.wordpress.com)
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners at their regular price. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links may pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.