One of those told-you-so moments. Unfortunately it’s not the news that I wanted to hear either.
Below is the text confirming that there is more to be done before all of next year’s International Duathlon Age Group Championships are fully confirmed.
Nancy – World Standard Distance – Confirmed, as are the qualifiers
World Sprint Champs (Nancy?) – Not confirmed, no qualifiers confirmed but apparently British Triathlon do have contingency events lined up already (at least someone is organised!) in the event that this event (sic) goes ahead. My take is that there is a good chance that this event will not happen, which is a blow for me.
Euro Champs – Might not happen. Qualifier events already announced will go ahead but there may be nothing to qualify for! (Unlikely)
British Triathlon would like to clarify the current situation regarding both the ITU Duathlon World Championships and ETU Duathlon European Championships in relation to the GE Great Britain Age-Group Team.
ITU Duathlon World Championships – Nancy 22nd & 23rd September 2012
British Triathlon has received notification that the Local Organising Committee (LOC) currently has no plans to run a sprint distance event at the ITU Duathlon World Championships. The only distance available to age groupers will be standard distance duathlon. However we are of the understanding that this is currently under review by the Nancy LOC and the ITU. Should the sprint duathlon distance be included a statement will be placed on www.britishtriathlon.org immediately and a qualification process implemented. Any qualification events will not clash with, or be held at the same venue as the standard distance duathlon qualifiers.
ETU Duathlon European Championships 2012
British Triathlon is of the understanding that the ETU has not yet identified a venue or date for the 2012 ETU Duathlon European Championships. The ETU is currently working hard to resolve the situation and ensure that the championships take place in 2012.
British Triathlon has already identified and announced its three qualification events for these championships on the assumption that the situation will be resolved. However, British Triathlon cannot guarantee the championships will take place in 2012, therefore those events selected as qualifiers may ultimately not count towards qualification for any GE Great Britain Age-Group team in 2012. Duathletes enter those qualification races at their own risk, British Triathlon and the Event Organisers cannot be held responsible for refunding any entry fees or associated expenses if indeed the qualifier status is no longer valid at an event.
Please note that the races themselves will still take place regardless of the issues related to the qualifier status.
- Duathlon Update: ITU ETU Sprint Standard Distance Qualifiers Championships (the5krunner.com)
- Announcing: Sprint And Standard Duathlon – Age Group ITU ETU World European Championships 2012-2013 (the5krunner.com)
- ITU Sprint Duathlon 2012 – Or Lack of it (so far) (the5krunner.com)
- 2012 – Duathlon Key National & International Events Programme (the5krunner.com)
- Duathlon -Triathlon: Do ITU Results Show World Duathlon Is a higher standard than World Triathlon? (the5krunner.com)
- Duathlon Triathlon Race Distances (the5krunner.com)
- What Do The British Triathlon Abbreviations Mean On The Qualification Pages? (the5krunner.com)
- Can you wear running shoes to bike the duathlon or triathalon? (the5krunner.com)