Tonight was a bit of a breakthrough for poor old me. I managed 5:20/km…slow by most people’s standards but to be honest after hardly being able to make it to the end of the street for the last 2 weeks i was delighted.
My cunning plan was to get really warmed up on the bike 2×25 mins at a sweet-spot pace and then afterwards go for 10-15 minutes round the block. I had KT tape on , I even warmed up for a change and had a sports massage earlier in the day.
Surely everything would go right?
Well halfway into the second bike interval ON THE TURBO I got a puncture. Now that really is not a good sign!
My physio specifically told me to avoid ibuprofen and have paracetamol for the pain instead. So I totally ignored that advice and went for the proper pain killer and, of course, anti-inflamatory. I did that very quickly after the puncture and had my whey protein as well.
It’s amazing. I think there really is a lot of truth in the post exercise 30 minute ‘rule’ where your body really does seem to metabolise things very quickly. Anyway with no leg pain off I went and voila I ran without limping (and all the other aches and pains that causes from running badly).
Perhaps there is hope for me yet.
- 5k – that parkrun made my legs hurt (the5krunner.com)
- 5k times way down: what’s happening? (the5krunner.com)
- sports massage (purerecovery.wordpress.com)
- Sports massAAAGGHage!!!! (frangipanifries.wordpress.com)
- Massage Therapy Improves Post-Operative Surgical Rehabilitation (massageenvy.com)
- 2012 Miles – Day 89 (feeling better) (thrivecardiff.org)
- A Good 5k session today and a sneaky 2.5k + ride last night. (the5krunner.com)