Stuart Hayes wins Team GB’s first Tear-Tri gold of the 2012 Olympics. Well at least he did as far as I’m concerned.
Just like the cycling road race all team members really deserve a medal if their main man/lady wins. Stuart Hayes is of course no exception.
As a cycling domestique in the Hyde Park race he helped control the pace of the bike leg saving the legs of the Brownlees for the final leg. Without his performance the gold would have been MUCH less likely.
Of course on the run leg team members can really only offer a psychological benefit. On the bike there is a significant performance benefit from drafting and perhaps also by being able to slow the pace of opponents.
Well done Stuart. Probably the greatest unsung hero of Team GB. If I was Mr Brownlee I would at least get a replica made for you!
I was also very interested to hear you speak about the last couple of months training when you implied you did very little run training – presumably to peak for the bike. Not a bad individual performance considering that either! I think many of us in the multisports world would have liked much more in-depth analysis including that which was given by Holland and Wellington.
- Brilliant Brownlee takes triathlon gold (espn.co.uk)
- Alistair Brownlee: I was so excited, like a kid at Christmas (standard.co.uk)
- Alistair Brownlee takes triathlon gold and brother Jonny bronze (guardian.co.uk)
- Brownlee brothers become first in a century to stand side by side on the podium (telegraph.co.uk)
- Brownlee wins Britain’s 19th gold (bbc.co.uk)
- Alistair and Jonny Brownlee dreamed of sharing the Olympic Triathlon limelight (thesun.co.uk)
- London 2012 Olympics: Team GB gold tally equals great haul of China as Brownlee brothers earn triathlon gongs (standard.co.uk)
- Olympic triathlon: Alistair Brownlee wins gold, Jonny takes bronze – live! – The Guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- Yorkshire’s Brownlee brothers in triathlon glory (yorkshirepost.co.uk)
- Brownlee brothers win triathlon gold, bronze (dailystar.com.lb)
- London 2012 triathlon: Come on the Brownlee brothers! Sibling triathlon rivals lead our medal hopes as they take to Hyde Park’s Serpentine (dailymail.co.uk)
- Olympics 2012 news: Team GB equal 2008 gold medal haul as Alistair Brownlee wins triathlon (walesonline.co.uk)
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.