I was recently asked “How do I improve my 5k parkrun time?”. Unfortunately ‘it depends’ is going to form a large part of the answer.
Many people reading this will be shouting “train more!”. Which of course is true.
But what kind of training is best (A: it depends on your fitness etc etc)
What level you are currently at and your recent training is also going to make a big difference on what is the NEXT effective thing to do.
And it depends on when you want to improve it by. Today is Thursday so trying to improve it this Saturday will require virtually no training.
Look at my home page for tips on how to improve my parkrun time this coming weekend.
If you are looking to improve your time in a couple of weeks then you should be looking at tapering down from what you have been doing.
If you are looking at improving your time in 4-6 weeks time then you should be looking at fast intervals and tempo runs followed by a careful taper.
If you are looking at a 3 month time horizon then you need to follow a 3 month training plan.
Something along those lines would be good…
- Where’s my 5k PB? (the5krunner.com)
- Parkrun: a simple idea, brilliantly executed (with some neat technology and social media tools) (theredrocket.co.uk)
- Happy 100th Birthday Wanstead Flats parkrun (fattymustrun.wordpress.com)
- Snow worries (afterthomas.wordpress.com)
- Dedication (afterthomas.wordpress.com)
- Solent: a city for the fitness freak! (thesolentstatus.wordpress.com)
- Ipswich parkrun (afterthomas.wordpress.com)
- Runners Urged To Join Cross Flatts Parkrun (southleedslife.com)