How exciting. Well for a triathlon watch junkie like me it is anyway.
The impending (Apr2014) release of the new Polar watch looks very exciting indeed.
Some of the pre-release blurb I’ve read seems to show that it ticks all the boxes as well as the previously unticked boxes by many (eg HR in swim).
I think it looks very sexy to boot. This could be something to finally give the Garmin 910 a proper run for it’s money.
There will even be new a new Polar POWER based pedal system, presumably similar to Garmin’s Vector. Neither of which I’ve seen in the flesh.
Now all I have to do is get my hands on one 🙁
Below is the Press Release.
Preview: Polar Announces the World’s Smartest Training Computer
Polar V800 with integrated GPS gives demanding athletes a true picture of their recovery status
Launching in the UK in April 2014, Polar today unveiled the world’s smartest and most advanced training computer. Designed for professional athletes and demanding amateurs for whom sport is a way of life, the new Polar V800 with integrated GPS helps you reach peak performance just when you need it. It combines your workout training load with data on the small activities you do every day, so you have a true picture of your required recovery time before getting out there again. It’s technology you’ll want on your wrist 24/7.
The Polar V800 encompasses all of Polar’s best design and technology and is used by top athletes such as IRONMAN world champion, Frederik Van Lierde. It features an integrated GPS and supports multiple sports, from running, cycling and swimming to skiing and triathlon. Not only does each sport benefit from its own customizable profile, but the Polar V800 also seamlessly changes between sports, recording your full performance, including transition times between each sport.
Polar V800 key features:
- Integrated GPS – fast, accurate speed, distance and route measurement.
- Smart and accurate monitoring of training sessions with an integrated activity tracker that automatically adjusts your recovery status to give a true account of how much rest you get in between hard sessions. Now every movement is registered, from your toughest workout to a walk up the stairs
- Instant analysis and in-depth insights into all your training and recovery on the Polar V800 when used with the Polar Flow web service.
- Records your heart rate even while swimming – making it perfect for triathletes – and includes the most accurate altitude readings with a built-in barometric pressure sensor.
- Rechargeable battery which offers up to 14 hours of training time, 50 hours in low power GPS mode, or 30 days in time mode with 24/7 activity monitoring.
- Running Index data shows your aerobic fitness and running economy.
- Orthostatic Test to help you avoid over-training by gaining insight into recovery status over the long term. You can access four weeks of your training history at the touch of a button
- Gorilla Glass face set in stainless steel with an aluminum core and soft, breathable polyurethane straps.
- Updatable software which will allow users to add new features from the comfort of their own home as they become available. The wireless connection to a smartphone creates the possibility for further features, such as SMS notification and music control, which will be added as updates later in 2014.
- Power monitoring function for serious cyclists, which will be available mid-2014 to be used in conjunction with new Bluetooth Smart power pedals.
IRONMAN world champion, Frederik Van Lierde, said: “I train up to 35 hours a week and I need a smart training tool that gives me deep insight into my performance, whether I’m swimming, running or on a bike. The Polar V800 goes with me anywhere. And because it also measures even my smallest activity, it helps me know how I’m benefitting from the rest I need to stay at the top of my game.”
Pricing, availability and compatibility
The Polar V800 with integrated GPS will be available around the world in April for a suggested retail price of €399.90 (€449.90 with heart rate sensor) with UK prices TBC.
It will be available in black initially with a blue version available from June 2014. An optional running stride sensor is available separately. Speed, cadence and power cycling pedals for cyclists will also be available separately.
All accessories are Bluetooth Smart compatible, including Polar’s heart rate sensor. Access to Polar Flow and the Polar Flow app is free.
Learn more about the Polar V800 at www.polarv800.com