Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commissionReading Time: 2 minutes
Predicting firmware updates for the 920T for 2015 is tricky. Probably trickier than predicting what was going to be in the first release of the 920XT itself. I had a shot at that in my 920XT Fantasy Review and did OK. (The real review is at the top of your screen in the menus of <here is a review of the Garmin 920XT>)
The reason why predicting new firmware is tricky is as follows
- It’s the future and Garmin won’t tell me anything even if I ask politely :-). Uness you are subject to a NDA then you can’t get market sensitive info before investors. And even if you get it you can’t publish it.
- There is CONNECT IQ – much new specialist functionality has been effectively outsourced to be provided free by developers (some of it will require a fee) in the form for apps, widgets and other fancy stuff.
- The new EPIX and FENIX3 may take up internal resources.
With predicting what would initially be in the 920XT is was just a case really of adding up all the bits of functionality that were already there in different watches.
So here is what I think will be in the 920XT by GARMIN later in 2015 (not apps)
- I have a sneaky feeling we will see a TICKR-X type HRM-SWIM heart rate band. It won’t be wrist based and it won’t be optical. It will store data. Suunto do this as well. This is based on a rumour on a Garmin forum by someone else and sheer hope by me.
- FOOTPOD speed – deriving footpod speed is what many of us liked in the 910XT for a variety of reasons. The re-inclusion of this has been much-requested and I would imagine is not so difficult to add back in. Not trivial thought.
- Cycling Dynamics – as per the Edge 1000 expect something here in Q1. It’s already been announced.
- Swimming Workouts – this is different to the existing DRILL mode. It’s in the EPIX/FENIX3 already and just needs to be in the 920XT.
- We already have HR in OWS via3rd party wrist based optical HRMs (MIO Link). HR will be turned on for POOL swimming as well.
- Improved algorithms for GPS fix, current speed and elevation.
- Segments? (They are sort of now on the 920XT as part of courses).
So my guess on major announcements is
1. FIRSTLY and IMMINENTLY: Sort out integration with the VECTOR cycling dynamics across 920XT, EPIX and FENIX3.
2. SECONDLY Announce a whole new raft of swim stuff as we approach the northern Hemisphere spring. eg SWIM WORKOUTS and a new SWIM HR BAND allowing HR in pool/ows.
3. Ongoing bug fixes and minor enhancements and maybe an all-black 920XT.
For non-GARMIN stuff expect to see more devices coming to the fore. Most noteworthy that I have seen is the MOXY Muscle Oxygen Sensor. I’ve used such a device…clever.
Also expect more people to use ANT+/BLE (Bluetooth) Bridging Devices to enable watches to use signals from other vendor’s accessories. eg a Bluetooth Power Meter might well be made to work with your 920XT (eg MIO Velo)
I’ve seen Heads-Up Displays that beam swim data into your goggles (not Garmin).
So it will be interesting.