When buying sports gadgets I suspect that many people are faced with the “choice” ‘what is the most expensive Garmin I can afford?’. Whilst this strategy is generally not a bad one, sometimes it might be good to cast the net a bit wider and be a bit different. Would you have been the person who always bought a Ford?
Here are some alternatives for 2015-16, below.
Don’t fancy a Garmin 630? Then how about any of these BIG SELLING options
- TomTom Runner2/SPARK – Optical HR + Music
- Polar M400 – Well featured with a nice aesthetic and considerably cheaper.
- Epson Runsense SF-810 : Quality running watch for running ie running not other stuff. Fully featured Epson with good battery and good optical HR
- Suunto Ambit 3 Sport – Oozes quality (upcoming Suunto Spartan Ultra will likely ooze even more quality)
- Polar V800 – Hey good looking, pretty much as good as the 920XT.
Don’t fancy a Garmin Edge 520? Then how about
- WAHOO Fitness ELEMNT – probably better !
- Polar M450 – Great quality, ridiculously low price.
- MIO Cyclo 505HC – Good on navigation
Don’t fancy a Garmin SWIM? Then how about
FINIS Swimsense – Pool only
FINIS 2016 – Watch this space!
Don’t fancy a Garmin VIVOACTIVE? Then how about
ACTIVITY BAND/ACTIVITY TRACKER:
Don’t fancy a Garmin VIVOFIT or VIVOSMART HR? Then how about
Don’t fancy a Garmin VIRB? Then how about
- TomTom BANDIT
- GoPro Hero4 Black
Don’t fancy a Garmin Vector or Vector 2/2S? Then how about
- Favero BePro (pedal-based, accurate and ridiculously low cost)
- Powertap P1 (pedal-based)
- ROTOR INPOWER 3D+ (pedal axle based)
- 4iiii Precision Power Meter (crank-based)
HEART RATE MONITOR / CHEST STRAP
Don’t fancy a Garmin HRM-RUN or HRM-TRI? Then how about
- WAHOO FITNESS TICKR-X (Read link for detailed compatibility of all functions )
- 4iiii Viiiiva V100 (Clever high sensitivity, caching and converting strap)
OPTICAL HEART RATE MONITOR
- SCOSCHE RHYTHM (more accurate)
- MIO Link (well really it’s the same sensor as the 225 but available as a separate HR wrist band as the Link!)
Don’t fancy the Garmin GSC-10 or the 2014 separate Garmin speed and cadence sensors? Then how about
- 4iiii Ride
- Wahoo Blue SC or Wahoo’s new separate speed/cadence sensors