Here is a first attempt at a chart for top SPORTS and ACTIVITY tracking apps. It’s based on the number of reviews on Google Play Store (Android). Notes about this are covered at the end, at least you have a handy link which may prove more useful than the accuracy of the ‘stats’ !
|Android App Name||Est.||Reviews||Rating||Aug-15|
|Runtastic running & fitness||10,000,000||423,221||4.5||Link|
|Runkeeper GPS Track Run Walk||10,000,000||307,507||4||Link|
|My Tracks (Google)||10,000,000||193,028||4.2||Link|
|Strava Running & Cycling GPS||1,000,000||129,777||4.6||Link|
|Runtastic Running Pro||1,000,000||121,762||4.6||Link|
|Mapmyfitness – Run||5,000,000||95,250||4.5||Link|
|Runtastic Road Bike||1,000,000||67,011||4.5||Link|
|Mapmyfitness – Walk||1,000,000||57,329||4.4||Link|
|Mapmyfitness – Ride||1,000,000||55,576||4.4||Link|
|Runtastic Mountain Bike||1,000,000||40,492||4.5||Link|
|Runtastic Mountain Bike Pro||50,000||12,144||4.6||Link|
|Runtastic Road Bike Pro||50,000||11,518||4.6||Link|
|Ride with GPS||100,000||1,927||4.1||Link|
|Samsung Activity Tracker||100,000||1,587||3.3||Link|
|Under Armour Record||50,000||1,563||4.1||Link|
OK the stats are flawed for numerous reasons including the following. Any suggestions on how to relatively easily get more accurate stats would be appreciated, especially for iOS/iTunes:
- Excludes windowsphone – may not be too much of a factor
- Excludes iOS/Apple – massive omission
- Excludes proprietary phone vendor stores for Android like SAMSUNG store
- Based on the number of reviews – this is probably not too bad a measure actually and at least is an accurate number.
- Basing instead on the number of downloads would count someone who has downloaded and then subsequently deleted OR never used OR is no longer using
- In any case downloads are supplied by Google Play as a range eg from 10,000-50,000 from which it is not possible or meaningful to draw an single figure inference.
- Some apps are paid-for (like BioforceHRV), this will consequently have a lower number of downloads and may also make a paying-user more critical in the ranking they give to the product.
- Some vendors make multiple similar products (paid and free versions) it may make sense to aggregate all of these.
Either way it looks like we all like Strava and Runtastic.
Original material from me BUT inspiration from a similar idea by zitasport.com
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 thoughts on “Top smartphone apps for sports, triathlon, running, cycling, and activity- League Table”
Your work is also our inspiration… and Our articles are also yours. (Excuse my english, please)…
The link to zitasport (APPs ranking).
I’ve been using this app called Hoops Connect recently and it’s been great for finding fitness classes or sports sessions. I’m a runner myself and so it’s nice to be able to do it with other people rather than run on my own. I’ve even organised a few events myself and it went great! Here’s their website: http://hoopsapp.co My name on the app is Jordan Cambern if anyone wants to go for a run or try some other sport 🙂
I’ve been using this app called Hoops Connect recently and it’s been great for finding fitness classes or sports sessions. I’m a runner myself and so it’s nice to be able to do it with other people rather than run on my own. I’ve even organised a few events myself and it went great! Here’s their website: http://hoopsapp.co My name on the app is Jordan Cambern if anyone wants to go for a run or try some other sport. 🙂
Comments are closed.