Affiliate Disclosure: All links earn commissionReading Time: 3 minutes
Ah well. Very exciting.$260m.
I suppose the exciting angle will be the merger of style with technology. Customers REALLY do care what stuff looks like.
Price tag aside, would you rather wear the tag or the vivosmart? Whilst it wouldn’t be a connected watch like the Tag; most of us know that you could buy a fake one that looks like the Tag for WAY less than the price of the Vivosmart.
The point being that style doesn’t have to cost thousands. It simply does NOT cost huge sums of money to MAKE something stylish.
—- Press Release Follows —————
RICHARDSON, Texas, Nov. 12, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Fossil Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:FOSL) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Misfit, Inc., an innovator in wearable technology and stylish connected devices. The acquisition will enable Fossil Group to expand its addressable market, offering consumers both traditional timepieces and fashionable connected accessories. Misfit brings to Fossil Group a scalable cloud and app platform, a world-class software and hardware engineering team, a native wearable technology brand and a pipeline of innovative products.
“We have a significant opportunity to add technology and connectivity across our platform of watches and accessories,” said Kosta Kartsotis, chief executive officer of Fossil Group. “With the acquisition of Misfit, Fossil Group will be uniquely positioned to lead the convergence of style and technology and to become the fashion gateway to the high-growth wearable technology and connected device markets.”
The acquisition will enable Fossil Group to:
• Own a technology platform that has already solved many of the hardest problems in wearables, including battery life.
• Scale Misfit’s technology across Fossil, Skagen and a targeted portion of its portfolio of 16 brands in 2016, ultimately accelerating the company’s connected accessory roadmap.
• Expand its addressable market with new distribution channels, new products, new brands and new enterprise partnerships, including music, fitness, healthcare and digital entities.
• Lead in the connected devices space by harnessing the power of a world-class software and hardware engineering team spearheaded by Misfit Founder, Sonny Vu.
“We fundamentally believe consumers care about both technical functionality and fashionable design. In fact, one without the other is simply not enough. With the acquisition of Misfit, Fossil Group will be positioned to win with the connected consumer,” said Greg McKelvey, chief strategy and digital officer of Fossil Group. “Our world-class design and global distribution, combined with Misfit’s technology platform, creates a significantly advantaged, multi-brand and global wearable technology business poised to drive the convergence of fashion and technology.”
“We are thrilled to join forces with Fossil Group to usher in the next era of wearables where elegance, beauty and long-lasting wearability are paramount,” said Sonny Vu, founder and chief executive officer of Misfit. “Together, we will introduce products that blend Misfit’s seamless, intuitive technology and user experience with the design, style and branding that is the hallmark of Fossil Group.”
– See more at: http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/11/12/786802/10156009/en/Fossil-Group-Inc-to-Acquire-Wearable-Technology-Innovator-Misfit.html#sthash.qQqngO3h.dpuf