The following was written in 2015…
I read a bit of speculation elsewhere about the potential Garmin Edge 820; the two years since the 810 are up. It got me thinking that an announcement for Spring 2016 could be on the cards.
Black Friday’s discounted Edge 520 got me wondering why Garmin would discount that product now? Sure discount all the tat like everyone else but the Edge 520 is good. Hey, I’d mostly even recommend the 520 to friends and family!!
If you tie in a lower priced 520 with a new 820 and then WAHOO’s release of the ELEMNT (early 2016) might be dented somewhat.
What might the 820 offer over the 810?
- ANT+ FE-C trainer control
- Bigger, better, colour Touch-Screen?
- Better battery
- All the Bluetooth-smartphone stuff
- Bluetooth Sensor support (just kidding 🙂 )
- Improved routes
- Radar/Light/VARIA support
- Improved metrics (eg W’bal) – probably not unless via IQ.
- Full Cycling Dynamics support
- Autosync, segments, better analysis,
- Lactate Threshold, VO2, time/distance/power predictions,
- A nice price tag and lots of goodies that will make you a much faster cyclist. Maybe. Perhaps. Not.
What won’t be included
- Bluetooth sensor support
- Bestbikesplit type pacing
- Audio prompts/music – dangerous!