A week in: Triathlon, Tri Gadgets & Related Tech, is some of the more interesting bits that flash up on my screen during the week. It could be: some interesting article on triathlon training; a new activity tracker; a new swim watch; a race; or a reminder on a new bit of software or firmware for one of your devices.
Thank you to everyone who drops me a line with interesting titbits. There’s a huge amount of information out there that’s more than a few people can keep tabs of. [Catchup: Here is last week’s]
- MOTO 360 Sport (from Motorolla) now on sale. Looks nice. Has the word ‘sport’ in it. So here it is (above).
- Joe Friel did an interesting article on TSB. If you don’t know what it is, you should 🙂 At least if you are training for an endurance event.
- 4iiii wrote a bit more about some of the new metrics coming from their PRECISION power meters.
- Lots of new stuff from Polar: Flow/Android Update; M400 T+Recovery stats in Flow; and some updates to Loop.
- On a Polar M400 note, 220 Triathlon voted the M400 as their runner’s watch of the year. They also looked favourably upon the Epson and TomTom. I was going to bemoan their lack of racial/sexual diversity on their 2016 calendar but now I won’t as their watch recommendations broadly agreed with me 🙂 I’m fickle that way. But hey c’mon guys non-white people and women do triathlon more than your photos suggest.
- Garmin announce extended running dynamics will be added to the Fenix3 and 920XT … yeah !! but not the other physiology stuff … boo !!
- Triathlete Rfy made $1m in a recent race. I think we should all train more.
- SportTracks announce a completed re-write of their MOBI’s Analysis functions. A post so big they had to make it several posts to cover all the super new stuff.
A selection of stuff from the5krunner’s week – normally ranges from ‘not very interesting’ to ‘quite interesting’. I remind you that the BBC made a successful series out of the latter.
- A 1 minute review of the STRYD Power Running POD. Summary: Nice! Now Garmin, Suunto and Polar need to work harder to support it.
- I pointed out the Chris Froome is probably innocent (you can’t prove innocence, only guilt)
- I speculated about the Edge 820; made more likely by recent discounting on the 520 and 810 bundles.
- I moaned about the 920’s lack of support for Swimrun despite it being touted for the Fenix3.
- I moaned about Garmin’s inability to produce premium aesthetic forms, unlike Suunto. Although some effort was made with the F3.
- I know no-one likes a moaner but I also moaned about some of the tat being offloaded in the sales; exceptions being the Edges just previously mentioned as well as the V800 (new model there perhaps???), Ambit 3, Basis Peak, Forerunner 310XT and Polar V650.
- Quite a few posts were also about my tests with STRYD. Suffice to say it’s accurate enough to be usefully usable.
- And finally an amazing 5k world record for a 9 year old
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.