Well here’s their ad. Intriguing enough. I love this kind of James Bondesque secrecy. All companies should have secrecy around new products but I love the teaser! Actually I loved this one leading up to the Polar A360 as well, although it was obvious it was oHR…but I digress as usual
Back to WAHOO. It’s the time of year for new stuff. We all know that.
Maybe you might think it’s some kind of way to hype the much-awaited ELEMNT bike computer. Maybe. Fair enough, that’s due for more general global shipping about NOW. But the word is plural PRODUCTS. So my reading is something else besides.
If you don’t know WAHOO they do some innovative/unusual stuff. A recent example being, seriously, a turbo session table. The TICKR-X caching HR strap WAS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN WHEN RELEASED. The RFLKT+ is also a great iPhone cycling companion (there may be similar products now eg from CATEYE). Didn’t they also do some sort of plug-into-your-iPAD ANT+ adapter, that was clever.
So it REALLY is SUPER hard to predict what they will come out with next. You could argue that we are due an upgraded version of the KICKR trainer. but how would they upgrade it? What more cold it seriously do? OK, it could be a bit quieter but that’s about it. Apparently.
Well. I might know what next week’s new TomTom announcement will be but I have absolutely no idea what WAHOO are bringing out over and above the ELEMNT.
If it’s electronic it will likely be BTLE and ANT+ :: openness is their thing. It’s likely to be cycling related and a premium device, presumably therefore having some form of premium feature set.
- A running watch building on the ELEMNT – nah. Different form factor but some similarity with the innards? Not really cycling or general fitness though is it?
- Some form of cycling /video/ app linking to the trainer – hmmmm. Maybe
- Heads-up display – possible as that could be a high value item, the sort of thing they do well.
- A power meter – again, maybe. They could do a Favero and just spring one on us. If so, probably pedals.
- Maybe a chair to go with the table?
- A Bluetooth to ANT+ adapter? nah !!! Don’t be silly
- Something Else?
My money and the smart money is on option 7.
Thoughts? Anyone? Your guess is WAY better than mine on this one. We’ve got until Monday to figure it out.
EDIT: Looks like it’s just the ELEMNT augmented by the SPEED sensor – we now have the aptly names WAHOO SPEED and WAHOO CADENCE sensors…don’t get confused between the two. Not the most exciting of Monday mornings so far !