Garmin are doing a great job of releasing a major product each month. July was the nice looking, but not earth-shattering, Garmin Edge 820.
What about next month’s release?
My bet would be something not so interesting. A lower key announcement such as a Garmin Swim 2.
Logic (aka rampant speculation) for 2016:
- There’s still a bit of open water swim season left in the Northern Hemisphere
- A bigger release could be planned for September/October at KONA (like the 920XT) and perhaps to counter whatever Polar might announce there (KONA is early October 2016)
- September is a better time to get some market traction started in the lead-up to Christmas and the big money season.
But. Just perhaps a pre-KONA announcement to counter the actual release of the awesome-looking Suunto Spartan ULTRA could be planned? That then brings us into Fenix 4 territory.
And please don’t question if there will be one. There WILL be. It might be called something else but it will be a Garmin Fenix 4 (possible features) in anything but name.
A little bird tells me there could be:
- Fenix 4 Sapphire (Thanks Dave!!) / Fenix 5S
- Fenix 4 HR / Fenix 5
- Fenix 4s HR (Sapphire) / Fenix 5
LEAK ALERT: Fenix 5 images
You can guess that the HR models are using Garmin’s ELEVATE optical technology.
Whatever the Fenix 4/Fenix 5 holds for us it will be interesting to see if it is evolutional (just mostly better hardware) or revolutional. I suspect strongly the former. The Fenix 5, and there IS one of those planned too apparently (edit: told you so!), might be more of a different move from the Garmin mainstream that we have become accustomed to.
Edit: September 2016 – Q1.2017 now looks more likely 🙁