TomTom’s latest quarterly results (link to: tomtom.com) do not make for any kind of cheerful reading for the Consumer Division.
Q3.17 vs Q3.16 show revenues down by 29% from Eu137m to Eu97 with a comparable YTD decline of 22%.
Ominously the report quotes “Strategic review of Consumer Sports in progress“.
This information would clearly have been known and forecast internally quite some time ago and backs up the rationale for recent redundancies.
Who should buy TomTom in your opinion? And what should they do with it?
FYI: Consumer=location based products in drive/sports categories
- Running, hiking+golf watch – basically the same hardware (good)
- Bandit Action Cam (a bit old)
- Fat sensor wrist band (hmmm)
- Online platform and app (nice)
- A reduced number of people with product/market-realted skills (done some good work previosuly)
The brand is very strong and the rest of TomTom wouldn’t want to sell it off I’d imagine. So that leaves the tech/people that would need re-branding/re-purposing. Polar? Lezyne? VC?