FTC: Affiliate Disclosure Links may pay commission
What will be the biggest Tri-Tech SURPRISE for 2018?
I have my thoughts on what could be the biggest surprise in 2018 in tri-related sports tech. Your ideas are welcomed below as, of course, are witty responses.
I clear out a few of the likely suspects first. These are NOT going to be surprises
- Anything from Garmin – Let’s face it we have a pretty good steer on what their headline watches/cycling computers are going to be. The following linked post should put any major Garmin uncertainty to bed:
But then, having said all of that, let’s face it; Garmin DO pull some magical tech bunnies out of the sporty top hat quite regularly. The most recent example being the Garmin Running Power app-cum-algorithm. We know they are doing aerodynamical stuff and we know they have already started to support Galileo on some of their hiking watches. That tech won’t be a surprise. Very Nice. But not a surprise.
- There will be some great products next year like the TRAINESENSE SMART PADDLES. I wrote about those a few hours ago. Again, not a surprise.
- A new Polar tri watch. Again, not a surprise and hopefully a contender for the Best Triathlon Watch.
- A new aero frame or even lighter bike component, both of which will make zero real difference to 98% of us. Highly likely. NOT a surprise.
- A new 2018 iteration of the Wahoo KICKR….highly likely.
I’ve already written that we are approaching ‘peak tech’. So it looks like a boring year ahead then ?
My guess for 2018 is that our unexpected tech excitement will come from Wahoo. They usually have a Q1 announcement for us BTW. Wahoo could give us…:
- A new ELEMNT of some sort. We already had the mini in 2017 but why not the MAXI in 2018? Something like the larger ELEMNT but which has an even larger and higher-res screen for navigation, to take on the Edge 1030? Perhaps further also refining and improving the general state of bike navigation in the market.
- WAHOO already have the TICKR-X HRM and a STRIDE sensor. Why not a running power meter app like Garmin? Or even morph the STRIDE sensor into a STRYD-like running PM? Quite possible. Although I can’t see the financial return for WAHOO coming from a free app somehow. Unless they also have …
- Wahoo’s CEO is on record saying something like ‘we are considering a running watch’ at some point in the future. Hey! The future is almost here. Rationale would include
- WAHOO know how to innovate and have a history of relatively cutting-edge products eg RFLKT, KICKR and TICKR-X, ELEMNT
- WAHOO know how to make the tech with the ELEMNTs
- There is an emerging gap for a top-end tri/run watch that just does training properly with none of the extra gumph. Whilst the Garmin 935 is awesome, it does have a lot of unnecessary stuff bundled in AND a pesky round screen. Not ideal for racing/training, IMO. Then again, that could be describing the new Polar, except the WAHOO would have ANT+ … #PolarSigh.
- It even has a name…quite likely to be the Wahoo Fitness RUNNR…ha ha.
Actually THAT would be a surprise too, wouldn’t it? Polar putting ANT+ as well as BLE into the new V800. It’s possible folks.
Thoughts? You must have some better ideas than that?
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners at their regular price. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links may pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.