You may have experienced varous site performance issues here over the last couple of months…many apologies. The site seems to become somewhat a victim of its own success and is struggling to keep up with the increased traffic. Please be assured that I am aware of some (all?) issues and I do my best to resovle them when I have the time.
I’ve either done or am in the process of doing some of the following and confess to not quite knowing what I’m doing at each stage. At each stage I though “I’ve cracked it”. Only to find…I hadn’t
- Migration from wordpress.com to self-hosted wordpress
- Migration from one seemingly-inadquate hosting package to another one with a further migration tonight onto better servers, albeit the same package (no i didn’t quite follow that logic either). I use Krystal
- Installation of numerous wordpress performance tweaks – no doubt some will conflict with each other and cause problems eg asynchronous codes, SMUSH image compression, caching and several other tweaks. No doubt some will really contain viruses. #sigh At least I have backups and firewalls and antispam and two factor authentication
- Introduction of content delivery network (CDN) – hey USA you now have your very own copy of this site sitting somewhere in Uncle Sam’s back yard.
- Reduction of the number and aggressiveness of some ad units.I use Monumetric.
- I appreciate ads are annoying eg when watching terrestrial TV. They are, however, a key source of my meagre income from this site. Mr Rainmaker kindly pointed me in the right direction for a plugin that can be modified to stop ads for subscribers. That’s not straightforward but I’m going to have a crack at doing that if I can find a decent WP/php developer.
- A new Comments system just for Boris. I thought the old one was fine. Hey ho.
Like Ogilvy, my ad supplier MONUMETRIC are compliant with CHROME AD FILTERS. So their ads SHOULD be free of malicious stuff. Some will no doubt slip through but one reason I chose them was that they appear well-intentioned. MONUMETRIC (and me) have implemented ADS.TXT which is another way of ensuring ad quality. Monumetric also set ‘floor pricing’ which means they don’t buy low quality ads as these often have dodgy stuff in them.
If you have any complaints, suggestions or words of tech-encouragement then please comment below
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.