FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission
The existing Garmin Fenix 5, 5S and 5X have JUST had GALILEO support rolled out in beta. It doesn’t yet appear to be available for the Forerunner 935 but will surely follow in due course.
To be clear: This is NOT the Garmin Fenix Plus (review ed here) series. It’s the regular 5 Series
This is beta software and it’s race season…update at your peril. But, yes, I’m going to 🙂
My understanding is that this is single band GALILEO…so hopefully it’s better than GPS-only but there are hopefully more improvements to come in future watches. Fenix 6 anyone 😉
Galileo on the Fenix 5 + Chronos
Full details of the beta release are shown below and here are the links…enjoy! :
- Fenix 5x firmware – link to: Garmin.com
- Fenix 5 firmware – link to: Garmin.com
- Fenix 5s firmware – link to: Garmin.com
- Fenix Chronos firmware – link to: Garmin.com
Double check your GPS version is v4.40 (mine is v.4.4 even on the FR935…which hold out hope for the same GALILEO upgrade on the FR935)
Changes made from version 9.20 to 9.53:
- Added GPS + GALILEO support (Activity Settings > GPS). (Requires GPS version 2.20)
- Added abnormal heart rate alerts. Enable these in Heart Rate widget > Heart Rate options > Abnormal HR alert. An abnormal heart rate will be detected if your heart rate exceeds the entered threshold for an extended period of time while sedentary.
- Fixed a bug causing Cadence values to be ‘stuck’ when not pedaling instead of returning to 0.
- Fixed a crash seen when viewing SwimRun activities.
- Fixed a crash sometimes encountered when selecting apps.
- Fixed a bug causing some activities performed on multiple devices to be double-counted when viewing Training Load on Physio TrueUp devices.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners at their regular price. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.