I thought this was an interesting chart that some of you might want to look at.
It is the page views of a popular post I have on triathlon watches. The chart shows the relatively obvious seasonality of the interest in triathlon watches as well as a Black Friday blip. There will be a few peaks for unknown reasons but even looking on a weekly level there is no particular trend in the days of the week on which the post is most often read – some posts I write (eg parkrun related) have a massive spike of weekend readers, whereas other types of post favour the Monday morning or Friday evening reader. But not this post Every day is potentially triathlon watch research day.
My overall blog stats for the last year have been relatively stable and only increasing slightly (10%). The interesting thing with this particular triathlon post is that it might be bucking the trend and heading lower. This could be due to competition from similar posts but I don’t think it is for a variety of reasons.
I think it is signalling a lowering interest in triathlon watch tech. Thoughts?
Points to consider
- Participation in triathlon races is increasing
- Number of triathletes is probably increasing slightly, possibly at more casual levels of participation
- Some events are closing (there is probably an over-supply of triathlons in the UK)
- Sport-related features in triathlon watch tech is not really increasing. ie the innovation is more in things like contactless payments and music rather than novel, World-Beating Cadence Functionaliites.
- There are still new products coming to market
- …or maybe there are just better competing posts out there from more people for the same types of searches.