It’s been a good year for Garmin’s endurance tech products and a good year, financially, for the company overall. 2019 will almost certainly see this trend continue.
But exactly how? Will Garmin be selling more of the same-old, same-old, products? Or will we see more new and exciting stuff?
A: More new and exciting stuff 😉
With a tailwind and a dose of good luck, December 2019 will reveal some FCC filings showing that a Garmin Fenix 6 is to be formally announced at CES2020. But Santa might, just might, get his act together in time for Christmas 2019. C’mon Santa!!
As of 27 Nov 2018, the latest predictions for 2019 are listed here in this post. If you want to see the revised predictions as they change throughout 2019 OR to look at predictions beyond 2019, then look at the latest post listed in this list here (link to: the5krunner.com).
- Vivoactive 3 Plus or “DragonFlyM” /WearOS – Due January 2019 – probability – 95%
- Fenix 6 – Due Q4.2019/Q1.2020 – the probability of the latter date 80%
- Forerunner 935 Plus/945/645Triathlon – Due Q1/Q2.2019 – probability 70%
- Forerunner 745XT – Due 2019 – probability 50%
- Edge 830 or Edge 1040 – Due Q2/Q3.2019 – probability – 40%
- Edge MTB – New Product – probability 30%
- Forerunner 245 & Forerunner 245 Music – Due – probability 25%
- Edge 530 – Due Q1.2019 – probability – 20%
- Forerunner 45 &/or Forerunner 45Music – Due – probability – 10%
- The Fenix 6 is a certainty. It’s just “when?” it will happen that is the question.
- The 935Plus/945/645Triathlon represent the same product. I’m just not sure how it will be precisely named and positioned. Either way it will be the top-end triathlon watch.
- The 245/245M each represent a product that would represent a potentially good seller in a significant part of the market. I am surprised that this has not already been released in 2018. But consider that Garmin may well be releasing a new WearOS watch to fit precisely in the 245/245M space. It will certainly be priced at LEAST somewhere around the $/£/Eu300+ mark. That’s easily 245 Music territory
- A mid-range tri watch, the 745XT, is by no means a certainty. It represents Garmin’s entry-level multisport watch but it is also a watch which would sit firmly in the mid-market of pricing when compared to other products. Producing a 945 could see the 935 slip back in price to effectively become the 735XT replacement in the mid-market gap. Such a move could be devastating for Garmin’s competition BUT devastating also to Garmin’s new 945 through cannibalization of sales. #Dilema
- Edge MTB – I reckon the Garmin Instinct (cheap Fenix) signals that Garmin want to also hit new markets. The MTB/trail market is the obvious one for a ruggedized and/or cut-down Edge 520 Plus
- Edge 530 was due in 2018. The Edge 130 and 520 Plus products that we have now probably reflected the equivalent product. In fact reports I had were of the 530, so maybe Garmin just decided to stick with the 520’s branding – the 520 is a HIGHLY respected product.
- The high-end Edge products need to take another step forward, perhaps by including an eSIM or video capability. An Edge 1040 will happen at some point and an Edge 830 probably will not be too far behind.
- Forerunner 45 &/or45M – will Garmin even bother in this space? Is the cheaper, Far Eastern competition too much to deal with? I don’t know the answer to the economics behind that. But I do know that Garmin’s CIQ music offering on a 45M would be a big seller..shame the 35 is not a CIQ product :-(, so CIQ might never exist in that price bracket for a Garmin.
- (Hint there won’t be a 935 Plus, nor a 945 nor a 745XT…Garmin will introduce 2 or 3 rebranded tri-specific products. I reckon. they will be effectively the same thing but with a different name).
- Others – there will be other products and other variants. I’m less interested in products like a Vivomove or Chronos 2. Whilst I think the Vivomove range will continue, there is a good possibility that the Chronos ship has long since sailed. Vector 4 will happen at some point too, maybe not 2019. Relatively new products like Vivoactive 3 series will not be superceded by a VA4 yet, that will be for 2020.
Your Thoughts Welcomed Below and Your Votes too