I recently had an email to check out the new Final Surge online coaching platform and their new CIQ app. I wasn’t that excited. However, it’s been quiet so I persevered. And it was worth persevering as I quickly had a ‘fall off the seat moment‘.
It seems that Final Surge (FS) have looked at the Running With Power jigsaw and had an Aunty Ethel moment. You know, when you are stuck on that 1000 piece Heinz Baked Beans puzzle at Christmas and leave the room only to come back in 30 minutes later and find that Aunty Ethel has put her jigsaw talents to awesome use and done the really hard bit that you’d been struggling on for days.
Either by design or accident (I don’t care either way 😉 ) FS have used the Garmin structured workout functionality on their site BUT ALSO ENABLED the bits that Garmin hasn’t YET enabled ie put simply, with FS you can now create complex structured RUNNING POWER workouts for free and sync them to your Garmin where you can execute them as a normal workout without having to execute them with a proprietary app.
TA DA !
These are ‘proper’ complex, structured workouts with the ability to specify repeated intervals based on power, pace or HR and intervals can be time-limited or ended by a button press (yay)
Here’s what you do
- Create a FREE Final Surge Account
- Use the Final Surge BETA Platform to create a structured workout. Something like this
- Download the Final Surge CIQ app from Garmin.com onto your supported Garmin I did that via Garmin Express onto my Forerunner 935.
- Grab your smartphone and make sure your Garmin device is correctly linked and sync’d to Garmin Connect Mobile
- From your 935 (Garmin device) force it to synchronise the workouts you have created on Final Surge – I had the FS CIQ app set to download 5 future day’s worth of workouts. As part of this process you should be prompted to authorize the connection with FS on your smartphone.
- All the Final Surge stuff is in beta right now. But once you have sync’d to your watch all should be good. Failing that, there is a manual option. But I got the sync to work via the CIQ app after a few tries
- You can then execute the workout in 935>Run settings>Training>My Workouts> where there will be workouts named something like “fs_23044159_<name>”
- The workouts DO seem to show all the correct steps and ‘POWER’ prompts as shown here
Disappointingly, I didn’t get any audible, visual or vibrate alerts when I was out of the target running power zone. I’ll do a bit more testing here, if you have any luck please let me know below.
I will also do some research to see if there are any Final Surge power plans that can be purchased and downloaded.
I will also do some research to see if RunScribe Plus Power and Garmin Running Power work in the same way via CIQ.
If you are specifically interested in a Running with Power PLAN then try these two
- https://www.finalsurge.com/coach/StevePalladino – no structured running power workouts as yet
- https://www.finalsurge.com/TrainingPlans/Fitzgerald – structured running power workouts are to be added soon, apparently.
The Final Surge platform and new CIQ app also have some other interesting news lined up for Wahoo Elemnt users, see this post:
I partner directly with STRYD in the USA and their distributor New Running Gear in the EU.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.