Affiliate Disclosure: All links earn commissionReading Time: 3 minutes
Jabra Elite Active 45e Review
Jabra is releasing a lot of new products tailored to sports usage, critical listening and work environments; this blog is only really interested in those that are designed for sport, so let’s crack on with the Jabra Elite Active 45e Review, starting off with a summary and then some more details after that for those of you who want it, including the specs.
Product Name: Jabra Elite Active 45e
Product Description: Bluetooth Wireless Sport Earbuds
Offer price: 89.99
Price - 95%
Long duration comfort - 85%
Build Quality & Design - 90%
Features, Including App - 85%
Controls - 90%
Audio Quality in-Sport - 85%
The Elite Active 45e seemed pair & work with every modern sport watch, Android phone and iPhone that I tried.
For once, on these earbuds, I could actually feel and operate the controls! They stay in with running and I wore them in comfort, during sport, for up to an hour. However, for non-sports usage, for me, I would NOT wear them for more than 2 hours – although that duration seems to be my personal limit for any worn audio device.
The aesthetic design is not my personal preference and my favourites for sport remain the Jabra Elite Active 65t Review ed here.
- Sensible price
- Sport-focused design that works
- Good environmental sound awareness, appropriate-to-sport sound quality levels
- Stays in your ear
- Also good for small ears
- Good Bluetooth connections and general compatibility with smartphones and newer generation running watches-with-music.
- I don’t like the new-fangled round-the-ear design, though lots of other people seem to love the modernity of the looks.
- Most people will think the sound quality is good but, in reality, it’s not good enough for CRITICAL LISTENERS who know what FLAC, 24 bit and AptX HD are. FYI: There’s probably NO sports-specific earbud that has those characteristics in any case.
- With an alternative true wireless earbud design, the storage case would probably have charging abilities built into it, the wireless design of the 45e does NOT have that, so you rely on a USB cable alone for charging.
Jabra Elite Active 45e Music Quality
The music quality is fine.
If anyone tells you it’s super hi-fidelity then they’re wrong. The Jabra Active 45e doesn’t support high-quality Bluetooth CODECs. Is this important? Probably not. You’ve seen the pictures of my >$500 sports watch (Garmin Forerunner 945, below) which doesn’t support high-quality codecs either. Both sender and receiver of sound must support the codec for it to work! However, if you are using an iPhone or modern Android smartphone then other headphones WILL sound a little bit better if they support CODECs like Aptx HD.
You could get better quality audio from a GOOD smartphone with something like the Optoma NuForce BE Live5 which supports the good quality CODECs and which has a larger driver – size is everything, as you know.
Perhaps more important is that the audio quality has been intentionally compromised to improve safety by being more open to environmental sounds whilst, at the same time, including noise reduction tech. A tricky compromise that Jabra has probably got just about right in this case.
- The around-the-ear wire – this really does keep these babies in place.
- The retention loop goes under the ante-helix and is bendable in form. Thus this is a super-clever way to adapt to the morphologies of different ear shapes without needing to have several sizes of earbuds and ear-wings. These DID fit a friend of mine who has SMALL ears.
- 9-hour battery
Jabra Sound+ App
There is no need AT ALL to use the Jabra Sound+ app. You can optionally use it to modify a few minor settings including sound equalisation.
Going For a Run
Yeah, it stays on. They sound alright and the buttons are easy enough to use.
The physical spec for the earbuds suggests they are built to last in sport usage.
Alexa, Siri, “OK Google” Support
These are all supported with the inbuilt microphone which also works for phone calls (remember those?)
“OK Google, show me the specs for the Jabra 45e”
Oh alright then, here you go…
Jabra Elite Active 45e Specifications