It looks like Garmin’s new running pod is super-close to hitting the market and here are the first images. It could be a runningpod-tastic week all round.
Here are a quick 15 minutes worth of thoughts:
You can see from the images that the retention mechanism is similar to the old Garmin footpod and rd-pod, so it will fit nicely into a new style cradle to go on your laces. I’ve not seen the new cradle.
The pod looks to be on/off button-controlled with an LED on top to indicate the power state. And yes it does look as sexy in a kinda-sleek, footpod way.
The size is obviously CR2032ish because of the coin battery that you can see 😉 [CR2045 is same diameter but thicker]
It definitely sends a BLE signal according to the FCC specs and you would assume ANT+ as well. ie Polar and Suunto users may also be happy.
The only remaining questions are
- Will it also transmit power? It looks like it might NOT as I do NOT see any kind of barometer hole on it, although Garmin would probably get that BARO info from onboard sensors in their higher end watches and the power algorithms would need that to properly calculate ‘power’. Thus this pod might only be a power meter for the more expensive GARMIN watches and just a simple footpod for speed/cadence/distance for cheaper ANT+ watches and other BLE watches/apps (eg forerunner 235, Polar Vantage, Suunto odd-number)
- How accurate? I’m guessing that this will be greatly improved over the current footpod with a totally new sensor package onboard. I’m also guessing that the accuracy will translate across a variety of PACEs, unlike the earlier Garmin footpod/rd-pod model. I’m further guessing that there will be a manual calibration option that works from day 1.
- How long will the battery life be? Again…better than before!
- Could there be some sort of dual-foot setup for running gait asymmetries? It’s possible but I doubt it.
- Foot? Are you sure it’s not a new RD-POD? I’m NOT sure about that but my money is on a footpod or pod that will properly support either location. Edit: It might not even be a sports pod at all (@LustyD thinks it could be IoT related)
- When? Very soon. I’d imagine availability in a couple of weeks after an imminent announcement.
- How much? don’t know! Notably less than GBP/$/Eu100. Probably 60/70 ish at launch.
So. I’m glad I’ve cleared allthose up. Hmmm.
Here is an image of the existing RD-POD for comparison.
And a Garmin footpod
Will STRYD be worried?
My guess is ‘NO’. And that this product may just fill up the market for an improved-accuracy, yet basically-functioned foot pod ie the space that STRYD LIVE vacated last year but at a lower price point
Even if Garmin does release a new running power product this month then they would probably do that alongside the native integration of running power metrics into the whole of Garmin’s ecosystem, which is a LOT of work. And even if thatr work were done, it would certainly help STRYD. I don’t think native power integration would happen in the immediate future from what I’ve heard….a few more months maybe or next year for that and hence I don’t think this is a power pod.
First thoughts? I‘m interested. Cyclists won’t be. What do you think/hope?
Much more news to follow 😉 😉 😉 😉