FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission
I had to change my lycra when I first heard about the new STRYD a couple of days ago. Very, very exciting stuff – almost too exciting. At least it was for me.
Info sources: stryd.com
Heads Up: I’ve not got the new STRYD yet, this post is based on information mostly provided following a few conversations with STRYD. I will probably update my STRYD Review (STRYD Bible) in august with the new changes and I hope to get the new STRYD soon.
Superficially, the new STRYD looks unchanged, however, there are significant improvements to both the hardware and to the features and capabilities of the device. There is new stuff in the new STRYD NOW but the new STRYD also represents a better platform upon which even more developments will come over the next couple of years.
TakeOut: Increased accuracy due to accounting for wind + laying the foundations for future improvement
- WIND – the power cost of headwinds or tailwinds is reported. This also includes scenarios like drafting, gusty winds and the effect of a fan when on a treadmill.
- Note Garmin Running Power’s calculation for WIND works from a weather forecast. STRYD measures it live.
- New hardware – the new STRYD looks the same but the internal components, the cradle and the pod itself have all be changed to better measure wind.
- Internal storage increased by a factor of 64 – future developments will allow more data to be cached both in terms of the number of training hours as well as the detail of what is stored (yes I have asked what that means and no I can’t elaborate!)
- Temperature & humidity sensors – future developments will leverage these and this is likely to be linked to a more accurate measurement of wind resistance.
- Magnetometer added – this will be enabled in the future and should give accuracy improvements as well as the capability to do other stuff (yes I have asked and got no comment, guesses below please)
- New LED – it is brighter and will incorporate new blinking patterns to explain its behaviour
- Improved clip – easier to use and more secure
- Q: How is wind power accounted for? A: Specifically, air resistance is detected and it is accounted for separately on a stride-by-stride basis and then added on to your ‘normal’ power output. It could be negative with a tailwind.
- Q: How does wear position & usage affect wind measurement? A: A normal wear position on the laces is all that is needed and your gait is not a factor which should affect measurement.
- Q: What about the STRYD battery life? It’s essentially unchanged. Better battery but new hardware which needs more juice..
- Q: Is the wind from a fan measured? Officially “Yes”. A: A house fan will create a minuscule resistance and it depends where, and how evenly, the fan is pointing. eg if it’s not pointing at the sensor air resistance won’t be detected.
- Q: Where’s the new app? A: Nothing will change initially with the apps. All will work as before. Obviously, new features will continue to be added and some of those will be linked to wind resistance and other things mentioned here.
- Q: Will my power readings change? A: YES. They will be more accurate. Even in still air conditions, the readings will change as the new STRYD will still be measuring the minimal effect of moving through the air. I’m guessing that in average conditions the change will be minimal.
- Q: Will I have to change my manual calibration factors? A: Probably, although for most people auto calibration will be fine.
- Q: Will device compatibility change? A: Officially no it won’t. However, the new STRYD has a more powerful antenna so that might address Garmin’s problems with the Fenix 5 and Fenix 5S (non-plus models only)
- Q: What are the clipping changes to the cradle? A: They are subtle but essentially it’s easier to get out/in and more secure once in.
- Q: Will the air intake hole need to be kept clear? A: Yes, I would have thought so, unless you run through ankle-deep mud I reckon you’ll be fine in normal use.
- Q: Drafting really? For running? A: A White Paper is going to follow on this subject….so, YES. For running Remember the sub2 marathon attempt behind the car?
- Q: When? A: Late July
- Q: How Much? A: The prices are changing to give a “simple” price to your door covering all shipment and import costs which gives these: US pricing is $219 USD ($209 for overseas buyers exclusive of shipping). UK pricing is 199 Pound (NewRunningGear are restocking as I write). EU pricing is 229 Euros. The TOTAL AMOUNT is, effectively, UNCHANGED but now there are no nasty surprises for taxes/shipping. (I’ve edited this bit a few times. Yes it’s confusing, not simple)
- Q: Is there an exiting user discount? A: You should all get a $20 discount code that’s valid for one month.
OPINION: If it all works then what’s not to like about more accuracy and generally ‘better all round‘? It’s probably worth the upgrade if you are really into running power.
There are a few more details on the STRYD website. Or ask below and I can add and clarify things.
The new STRYD pod can now be from STRYD or from New Running Gear for delivery in late July. Existing orders can be converted to the new STRYD and should have already received an email to that effect.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners at their regular price. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.