My partner either called me ‘cheap’ or a ‘cheap date’, I forget which. It’s definitely true, in the comments from a separate thread, KrisV committed to ‘Supporter’ status on this site in a sort-of-exchange for me producing an update on the current GPS of several Polar devices.
I aim to please (KrisV and my partner)
So, it looks like two 5k runs can be bought from me for GBP10 each – eesh. I ran 10k with a Vantage V, V Titan, Vantage M and Ignite broadly over two 5k loops. I’ve been trying out those loops recently in any case, one is through a small ‘wood’ near where I live and the other is around a few streets in a grid. Both these route segments are fairly good examples of a ‘normal’ GPS challenge that many of us will often face and I might use them more in the future for more of my testing.
I expected the Vantage V Titan to be the best, as this thought seemed to tally with some recent experiences. And I expected the Ignite to ‘need a bit of work’.
The lines on the following charts represent: Vantage M (Blue), Ignite (Red), Vantage V (Green), Vantage V Titan (Yellow), actual route (white, on the last image). I went around one of the blocks of the grid clockwise and the other anticlockwise to demonstrate any body-shielding effect.
I’ll let you have a look yourself.
- IGNITE: Clearly deviates from the route at times
- Vantage M: Definitely the best around the grid.Probably the best through the trees (I don’t know exactly where I ran and all 4 tracks are different)
- TITAN: Some deviation around the grid, cutting a corner and missing the track through the park near the grid but OK.
- Vantage V: Some deviations
*MY* Vantage M is CLEARLY the best on the day. My thoughts that the Vantage V Titan has notably improved is not supported by this run.
The HR was cool though. No chest strap is worn at all. See this…
- Question: Am I easily bought for GBP20 for future tests?
- Answer: No, don’t get your hopes up. I was planning something similar anyway and ‘needed’ to go for a run. I just thought I should weigh myself down with the 4 watches