This has been up on the net for quite a while but it looks like the Garmin HRM-PRO is real (it is).
But I’d missed before where it said that ski power will be introduced as part of the new XC ski-related metrics.
The ski season starts soon…hurry up with that belt Mr Garmin.
Speculation & Thoughts
- I’m not especially interested in ski power, whatever that means, and it appears to only be for XC skiers in any case.
- Clearly, ski power will be calculated along a similar vein to Garmin’s running power ie an HRM belt will be required alongside a decent Garmin watch with onboard barometric altimeter.
- As it’s a new belt (it is) then will it have more accurate innards that make Garmin Running Power more accurate at the same time?
- Skiing starts pretty soon. I’m guessing an announcement in the next two weeks to allow time for retailers to get their stock on the shelves.
- Price £100/$100/Eu100 sort of level
- Yes, it will also do BLE.
- Yes it will probably do everything that HRM-TRI can do. It’s NOT called HRM-SKI, after all.
- At the same time we MAY ALSO get the other Garmin accessories that are due ie a BLE running pod, a BLE RD-POD and BLE versions of the 3 existing HRM straps – hrm-tri, hrm-swim, hrm-run. But those 3 straps PROBABLY WILL NOT be released and it will just be the one PRO strap IMHO.
- It would make sense to concentrate marketing efforts onto multiple, low-value products rather than have separate mini launches for each accessory.