Timex Ironman R300 Specifications & Opinion
Timex recently & surprisingly returned to the world of sports watches, let’s take a look at the Timex Ironman R300 Specifications. Could this be your next Ironman Watch?
Well, let’s put that one to bed straight away…Probably not!
You might be surprised to learn that Timex has produced IRONMAN branded sports watches before. It was somewhere around 1743 when the classic T5E901 was last seriously sold and there were other IRONMAN watches at the same time. IIRC the T5E901 IndiGlo was the top-end IRONMAN-branded Timex watch with laps, time and everything, yes even waterproofing to 100m. OK, it was a bit rubbish on the features front…even back in the 18th Century, but it did have a certain aesthetic appeal.
Timex Ironman R300 Images
What we are seeing with the Timex Ironman R300 is a re-imagined 2020 *SMART* version of what came before. Gone is chunkiness and total lack of smart features but what still remains is the TOTAL INABILITY to be at all suitable for an Ironman race. I think it’s probably unsuitable for an Ironkids race (are they still a thing? I went to one once, great fun)
However, grumpiness and cynicism aside, it’s not too bad-a-looking watch, it does support (limited) coaching/plans and it is cheap. In the UK we say ‘cheap as chips‘, in America that would be ‘cheap as fries‘ but I guess that doesn’t work so well. Plus chips/fries are significantly cheaper than $120 a pop, so the analogy fails there somewhat.
The looks remind me a little of Sigma Sports id.TRI which also has a similarly low price tag. But there the similarities end, the id.TRI has LOTS AND LOTS of functionalities and it can actually properly support you through a triathlon. Unlike the Timex Ironman R300 (well, if you like to know the time when you do an Ironman, the R300 is great for that)
FAQ: Key Questions
- Q: Why did Ironman allow this thing to be produced in their name?
- A: I have absolutely no idea. Answers please, below, on a postcard. (I guess MONEY is the real answer)
- Q: Does it support customised, multisport profiles
- A: Yes. But only while you are asleep dreaming of a different watch
- Q: Does it support ANT+ and BLE PMs?
- A: Yes it supports both AM and PM. All times of every creed are supported
- Q: Does it have a touchscreen?
- A: Yes, of course, it is safe to touch it
- Q: Does it have an eerily glowing touchscreen sourced from Chernobyl
- A: Surprisingly, yes it does, like its predecessor (Source)
- Q: Does it support triathlon?
- A: Yes
- Q: Does it support open water swimming?
- A: No…wait a minute….
- Q: Does it really support 3rd party sensors
- A: No.
- Q: Are there any famous Ironman athletes who have raced to victory with one of these?
- A: Again, surprisingly yes there are (Source). Although perhaps not the victory you are thinking of and I think there was a near-circular room and desk involved. And, come to think of it, he only did running and not an Ironman.
- Q: Can it tell the time and does it have Ironman written on it?
- A: Yes, yes, yessity, yes, yes. All of that AND MORE
- Q: Does it have Firstbeat Anaerobic TE or just the overall TE
- A: It might have, I’ll ask. No I won’t. It doesn’t.
- Q: What more?
- A: 30m waterproofing, smart notifications, GPS, oHR, race your PB, 24×7 activity tracking and guided plans for running, cycling and triathlon. Actually it has a claimed 20 hours of GPS usage so that should last for most people’s triathlon.
- Q: Can you show me a random image of an older Timex Ironman watch that also didn’t do anything
- A: Yes, funny you should ask. I have one right here. Note that a FULL 8 LAPS ARE SUPPORTED on this particular model.
Actually the app is not too bad
Note the COMMUNITY options. This will be the section where you can compare your stats and progress with all your other friends who have a Timex Ironman R300. ie it’s a personal log of your stuff.
Timex Ironman R300 Specifications
- Case Width: 40.5 mm
- Case Material: Resin
- Band Color: Black
- Buckle/Clasp: Buckle
- Case Color: Gray
- Case Finish: Matte
- Case Shape: Square
- Case Size: Full Size
- Crystal/Lens: Mineral Glass
- Dial Color: Digital
- Dial Markings: Digital
- Water Resistance: 30 meters
- Case Special: Indiglo
- Band Special Feature:: Stainless Steel Buckle
- Case Height: 11.5 mm
- Strap and Lug Width: 24 mm
- Attachment Hardware Color: Stainless Steel
To be clear: This article is slightly tongue-in-cheek and is labelled as OPINION. Furthermore, in my opinion, the Ironman branding of a device like this is inappropriate.