I’m already on to my 3rd Garmin Forerunner 945, it’s a little annoying that I was without my FR945 for a week yet good that Garmin or their retailers do replace these pretty quickly. I probably got sent a refurb unit both times which probably should bother me more than it does in reality. I’ll be selling it before the 955 LTE dons my wrist.
- Q: What was wrong with the 945?
- A: Not too much. It was the buttons both times and the 2nd 945 was also returned because the charging cable didn’t properly allow a PC sync.
Yes, But what was annoying in the setup?
The main thing is that there are still several actions that I needed to perform to get my watch ‘just right’. I could probably have copied the file structure from the old one to the new one but I don’t know the inner working of Garmin devices that well to be confident about doing that. Re-setup probably took me about an hour all told and I’m reasonably sure that I know what I’m doing more than the average Garmin customer.
Here are some petty annoyances that there probably was a faster way to achieve workarounds for
- I had to reinstall the watch face(s) and CIQ apps, some of which required configuring. Luckily the Humon Hex data fields are still on the CIQ store.
- I had to recreate swim/bike/run sport profiles to set up data screens and GNSS constellations
- I had to repair and rename (that IS annoying) just the sensors that I could be bothered to do. I have a lot of sensors. Furthermore, I had to remember which ones to set as disabled.
- I had to wait for about 90 minutes for the latest firmware and maps to be updated.
- Something didn’t look right…ah yes it took me a while to remember I had not re-enabled the awesome WIDGET GLANCES.
- I had to remember once again just quite how I wanted the oHR to work…to do the PulseOx thing? the overnight recovery thing? to defer to the accuracy of an HRM during sport.
- I had to copy across my MP3s. I do have Spotify and Amazon music accounts but I just listen to the same old songs from that golden year just before the end of university…you know, the same year as you. (maybe) 😉
- I had to re-install my credit card for Garmin Pay (I guess that’s good from a security point of view)
- I went for a 5k walk to discover my VO2max was 40. Oh dear, I’ve lost a lot of fitness over the last week. I did have Physio TrueUp enabled too.
- My happiness returned when I went for a run, naturally, when I got back I had achieved my best ever 1 mile, 1km and several other record times. Hmmm. I’m guessing I might hit a new FTP on my ride tomorrow.
- The one thing that is annoying me is that on my old 945 (in Connect) I once manually set the LTHR too high and it’s never shifted since. Apparently, the workaround is to set it to an artificially low number and then immediately make it automatic again. I did that and it’s still wrong. Hopefully, the new 945 will somehow mysteriously correct that.
- Grrr. I didn’t remember STRYD’s auto-calibrated setting. Although on the positive side, the STRYD Zone data field now seems to properly pull my zones from PowerCenter when I’m sure it didn’t before. Yay!
- Pool length! Hmm. I think I’ll be on my 4th 945 by the time I need to reset that to my local’s 36m.
Still. You expect that have to do all of that for a $500 watch, don’t you?
And yes, I’m still calling the 945 the best triathlon watch despite all of the above. When it sings, it sings so sweetly; it just takes a little while to warm up the vocal cords.
Then I just thought that I might have the same, or similar, to do all over again when I fork out another $500 on a mystery new Garmin bike computer soon. Very soon.
Please share any 945 grumbles or setup tips below.
Resource: This link (Garmin Support) explains some settings that can be backed up and copied to a new device
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.