Affiliate Disclosure: All links earn commissionReading Time: 2 minutes
GarminPocalypse: Oh, it’s a hack – BBC confirms, Garmin issues 2nd Statement
Hey, guess what? It was a hack. Or, as Garmin say in their statement today,
“OLATHE, Kan.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced it was the victim of a cyber attack that encrypted some of our systems on July 23, 2020. As a result, many of our online services were interrupted including website functions, customer support, customer facing applications, and company communications. We immediately began to assess the nature of the attack and started remediation. We have no indication that any customer data, including payment information from Garmin Pay™, was accessed, lost or stolen. Additionally, the functionality of Garmin products was not affected, other than the ability to access online services.
“Affected systems are being restored and we expect to return to normal operation over the next few days. We do not expect any material impact to our operations or financial results because of this outage. As our affected systems are restored, we expect some delays as the backlog of information is being processed. We are grateful for our customers’ patience and understanding during this incident and look forward to continuing to provide the exceptional customer service and support that has been our hallmark and tradition.”
Perhaps the BBC forced Garmin’s hand in an article today which, whilst it re-hashed, just about everything we’ve heard so far, it also added comments from an unnamed source of theirs (now removed) and yes the BBC do change the content in their posts (Source: waybackmachine).
Drama over, let’s get back to training. Let’s hope that data makes it’s way back too.
The Story as it unfolded
- Ransomware rumoured as major outage becomes clear
- Vaguely interesting stat show complete lack of data from Garmin Connect going to STRAVA
- TrainingPeaks sensibly recommends a password change in certain circumstances
- Possible evidence of the hack and ransom demand (only one source)
- Garmin speaks out
- Partial re-start underway (this post)
- What data is lost?
You might also like
- Must Read: STRYD Review
- Must Read: Garmin Edge 1030 Plus Review
- Must Read: Best Triathlon Watch
- Must Read: Best Running Watch
- Must Read: Apple Watch 6 PRO speculation for September