new Garmin GPS Watches 2021
Almost a year ago there was a leak of planned new Garmin models. At the time, and for many months since some of those potential models were labelled as ‘ridiculous’ by some commenters. I think now is a good time to have a quick recap of the level of accuracy of those rumours and to see what we might have left in store for 2021.
Here are the leaked models with a TICK next to the ones that happened
- soon – Garmin Enduro Watches (2 solar versions), almost certainly Forerunner/Fenix 6-variant inside – Q1.2021, here
- Garmin Forerunner 955 (likely new features discussed HERE in detail) – rumours say late Q1/Q2.2021, I would personally bet on it being later.
- Garmin 955 LTE (maybe 945 LTE too as that was also leaked…nah!) – rumours say late Q1/Q2.2021, I would personally bet on it being later.
- ✔️ Garmin Forerunner 745
- ✔️ Garmin Venu (this was not known to be the SQ until Sep2020)
- ✔️Garmin Index Scale 2
- ✔️Garmin Edge 1030 Plus Review
- ✔️Garmin Edge 130 Plus
- ✔️Garmin Quatix 6 (based on Fenix 6)
- ✔️ Garmin Tactix Delta (Solar & Sapphire)
- ✔️ Garmin Marq – 7 versions (some were pre-existing but there is now an 8th Golf model which was not leaked)
- ✔️ Garmin Vivoactive 4 and 4s (Feb 2020)
- Garmin Fenix 6S SPORT (possibly a minor cosmetic variant, probably the internal name for PRO or SOLAR)
- Garmin Fenix 6 SPORT (possibly a minor cosmetic variant, probably the internal name for PRO or SOLAR)
- ✔️Garmin Fenix 6 PRO SOLAR (possibly, ie NOT the 6X solar but solar on a lower model)
- ✔️ Garmin Lumen (this was probably the Varia RTL515/315 although it could be the announcement of this: Lumen )
- Garmin Vector AIR – via bicycling.com, this is clearly real but might never make it to market for commercial reasons but I think it will eventually make it to market.
There we go. Accurate after all, despite the CV19 delays. I would say the as-yet-unreleased models have a VERY HIGH degree of certainty to be released during H1.2021.
More detailed comments further below on what might be in store for us in 2021
- Garmin released the 745. This is NOT a mid-range tri watch. It is a smaller, non-PRO version of the high-end FR945, so there is still scope for Garmin to target the mid-market position of the 735XT if they want to. More likely is that they will let the price of the FR935 drift lower to take up the mid-market mantle, at least in terms of price it’s mid-market. We’re talking about targetting Coros Pace 2 and any Polar Vantage M replacement, maybe the P2 is at a lower-to-mid price point. Anyway, you get the drift there is still scope for a cheaper Garmin tri watch.
- Don’t necessarily expect a Fenix 6 Plus. We had the SOLAR models for that. Fenix 7 is probably next, although the rumoured SPORT versions would be possible too. What would a sport version be though? I reckon that is just another name for the PRO versions that were already released. Fenix 7 here we come.
- It’s obvious that LTE-somethings will be on the cards at some point and further likely that such tech will find its way onto all higher-end models to a) justify a replacement high-priced model and b) be a tech gateway to enable new features without a phone. The limiter is Garmin’s global ability to get commercial access to the right cell networks. We’ve seen LTE on the VA3, my speculation would be LTE for Fenix, high-end forerunners, high-end Vivoactive and maybe at some point the Edge 1040/540. Providing that the commercial access can be secured, I suspect there will be MORE interest and demand for LTE that might initially seem to be the case (it will enable some cool sporty stuff)
- Vector 4 will be released, I’m guessing it’s more likely to be around the end of Q1.2021. Maybe there will be a ruggedised, off-road (gravel/MTB) version too?
- The 655 is overdue but not rumoured. Maybe there is too much overlap with the triathlon models for Garmin to bother with a new model here?
- Jan 2021 would match a 3-year release cycle. Perhaps there will be a different, top-end running watch 😉
- A Forerunner 245Plus in April 2021 would match a 2-year release cycle targeting the Spring start to the running season
- A Garmin Vivoactive 5 Release Date for September 2021 (Venu) would match a 2-year release cycle.
- April 2021 would match a 2-year release cycle for an Edge 530 replacement. (Edge 530 Plus or Edge 540). This could be an interesting one to watch as we see the effect of Karoo 2 on sales and I would imagine that Wahoo must be due a replacement or addition to their ELEMNT range (no intel on that at all). Again, Garmin will be worried about Wahoo to some degree, less so about Hammerhead – at least for now.
I could talk about Solar trickle-down, or LTE, or new sporty variants. The following linked post does that towards the end where you might find some of the sections about impending tech to be interesting (or not!).