Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commissionReading Time: 5 minutes
Garmin Fenix 6 & Garmin Edge Updates Today in beta
These new features are in beta. I wouldn’t recommend installing them unless you are willing to accept the risk. That said, Garmin‘s pre-release betas are generally better than most. You will need to install these manually and instructions are given on how to do that in the links below.
I’ll start with some of the highlights and then you can see if any of this tickles your fancy and you can then see more for your specific device..
The headline to me was the support for Concept II PM5 rowing machines. This will not affect me at all but I suspect there are quite a few of you have already fallen off your seat and aren’t even reading this part of the sentence as you’ve already started the download. IE amongst a certain niche this is a highly-requested feature and I would certainly agree that the historical omission of PM5 support like this has been strange. Thank you Coros for the prompt to get Garmin moving.
- Added support for displaying metrics from an indoor rowing machine that supports the ANT FE-C profile (e.g. Concept 2 with the PM5 module). This includes new fields for the Indoor Rowing app: Distance, Pace, Power, and Stroke Distance. Check out these images of it working from reader C.Ellisodon! FINALLY !
Then we have the addition of sport-specific power zones which will naturally cover your newfound ability to get rowing power data on your Fenix. Cross country skiing power zones? No problem. Running power zones? Err, well that almost certainly will be a problem as running power is not native to Garmin. However these power zones are not really for rowing and XC skiing, in almost-certain-fact, they are in support of the native running power that is probably coming in January along with the new Forerunners.
- Added support for sport-specific power zones. One can now set up their power zones for XC Ski separately from that of Cycling. (Menu > User Profile > Power Zones)
I would imagine that this simple-sounding addition involves significant changes elsewhere in the Connect platform.
Then we move onto improved A-GPS/GPS-lock with better handling of ephemeris, I had noticed my Garmin was sometimes a little slow at locking on. Maybe this will fix it?
- Improved the reliability of ephemeris downloads.
Then there are changes to auto-FTP detection (it needed it), some UX/UI improvements (always welcomed), CIQ 3.2 support, CIQ Data Field Alerts, TACX road feel control widget added, improvements to sleep…and, well I could go on. Most of the other improvements are minor but taken as a whole this is a nice step forward.
If you go through to your product-specific download page (see link below) then you can get the firmware HOWEVER you may also note some further new stuff. Namely the GPS sensor package has been upgraded in some models to v5 (you ar probably on v4.6 right now). So that’;s a whole new GPS version leap of super accuracy…maybe…perhaps…nah! BUT it might be a bit better and I already had some selected, very good results on some version of 4.x. with the Forerunner 745 which equalled the Apple Watch 6.
Fenix 6 series
Changes made from version 12.20 to 12.77:
- Added support for sport specific power zones. One can now setup their power zones for XC Ski separately from that of Cycling. (Menu > User Profile > Power Zones)
- Added support for displaying metrics from an indoor rowing machine that supports the ANT FE-C profile (e.g. Concept 2 with the PM5 module). This includes new fields for the Indoor Rowing app: Distance, Pace, Power, and Stroke Distance.
- Added support for an updated software update flow for ANT sensors, where the user will be prompted once they have completed the activity.
- Added support for descriptive Varia error messages.
- Fixed an issue with Sail Race tack assist. (MARQ Captain and Quatix 6 only.)
- Fixed an issue where the device could crash when connected to a HRM Pro with an active Livetrack session and accessing Ski activity profiles.
- Fixed an issue where certain CIQ elements could not be uninstalled via Express.
- Fixed an issue where the Applied Ballistics app could not be launched through the controls menu while running another app. (tactix Delta AB only).
- Fixed an issue where the device may fail to load a considerably long activity through the history menu.
- Fixed an issue with setting up elevation alerts at higher elevations.
- Fixed an issue in the paring flow where the device could return to the ‘Pair with Phone?’ page instead of moving forward.
- Fixed an issue where customers with high resting heart rate would intermittently not accrue intensity minutes.
- Fixed an issue where the device was not recording position data when racing against a downloaded course.
- Improved the reliability of ephemeris downloads.
- Improved the presentation of information for alarms and timers.
- Improved the scaling of lines when zooming in/out on the map.
- Made several code improvements for Sleep.
- Made several code improvements for Indoor Climb.
- Made several code improvements for daily suggested workouts.
- Made several improvements for Livetrack.
- Updated the Applied Ballistics bullet database to version 1215 (tactix Delta AB only).
Changes made from 6.20 to 7.00:
-Added CIQ 3.2 support.
–Added encryption for CIQ widgets and data fields.
–-Added CIQ data field alerts.
-Added BLE sync support for the Connect IQ app.
-Added CIQ workout information support.
- Indoor Training:
-Added smart trainer widget that includes Tacx Road Feel controls.
-Fixed issues with grade, power, and resistance controls for smart trainers.
-Fixed course points for indoor trainer rides.
-Added the Virtual Partner to the map page when following course or activity on indoor trainer.
-Fixed lap banner bug on trainer grade control page.
-Improved indoor trainer workout UX.
- Simple Setup:
-Added Simple Setup support. Port old activity profiles and sensors from Garmin Connect during initial setup.
-Added device driven Livetrack.
-Added course sharing.
-Improved reliability of FTP auto detection.
-Added tone to end of FTP test to notify user of completion.
-Fixed FTP test workout preview page.
- Fixed crash when updating sensor software.
- Fixed issue with smart eat and drink alert prompts.
- Fixed segment completion bugs.
- Fixed bug in Intensity Factor calculation.
- Fixed retaining light network disable over power cycle.
- Added instructions for pairing a radar in the radar sensor search menu.
- Fixed other minor UI bugs and crashes.
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus Series
I don’t think Garmin shares the love with you guys…
Changes made from version 13.74 to 14.00:
- Fixed an issue where the device could crash when editing CIQ data field/watchface settings.
- Fixed an issue where long music titles would not display correctly on the playlist screen.