The STRYD Membership Shake Up – new features, a new subscription
Back in November last year, STRYD announced sweeping changes, on the one hand, it gave access to an end-to-end service where you could sync structured running power workouts from many of your favourite training platforms to be executed on the STRYD Apps (CIQ, Watch OS, iOS, Android). On the other hand, it announced it was going to charge for a membership service in 2021. Well, in case you’ve not been paying attention for the last 3 months, 2021 has well and truly come 🙂
First up, if you are already a STRYD user like me just pottering away with your pod, a Garmin data field, a Polar Vantage, or syncing in plans from TP/FS, then you won’t be charged a cent.
Secondly, in general, features you’ve always had for free will remain free.
Unless I’ve missed a nuance, there’s no need for existing STRYD owners to worry.
Recommended Reading: STRYD Review – A Detailed look after 2000 miles
Today’s Announcement – What’s New?
There are 3 strands to today’s announcement:
- New Members-Only Feature – Workout Builder & Library: Power-based running workouts can now be created within the STRYD environment and stored in a workout library along with workouts from other sources.
- Lower Price: Membership features cost £9/$10 per month ($99/£89pa), lower than suggested in 2020.
- Expanded free features: The original membership features as envisaged in 2020, caused issues for 3rd party power plan providers and, as a result, the import and execution of structured workouts are now free.
However, some of the details are quite complex to explain. For example, if you buy a new STRYD tomorrow you can buy it more cheaply but there is also now a mandatory minimum subscription period that you have to sign up to which brings back the price to the same as it was yesterday. There are also complexities in which features are free – as longstanding STRYD users are rewarded with more free features. Plus there are pricing discounts whereby longstanding STRYD users can buy 6 months of membership for $/£20 rather than $/£60.
This all appears to have been constructed to make the overall offering fair or generous to everyone and to eventually open up a new source of monthly revenues for STRYD by offering something new.
So, it makes sense. It’s just hard to explain in a sentence.
STRYD Membership Features
If you want access to STRYD Membership’s new features then that’s going to cost you £9/$10/month, however, the features are wide-ranging and include these components of automated training and intelligent training:
- Running power structured workout builder (for execution on STRYD apps on iOS, Android, Watch OS and Garmin CIQ)
- A pre-canned library of popular, famous and useful running power workouts & tests. (for execution on STRYD apps on iOS, Android, Watch OS and Garmin CIQ)
- Personalised, post-run insights
- Personal running trend analysis
- Workout breakdowns
- Personalised power-based training plans (free preview for this month)
- Base-building training plans (free preview for this month)
- Automated post-run insights (free preview for this month)
- Personal running trend analysis (free preview for this month)
- Workout breakdowns (free preview for this month)
- Race power calculator (remains free if you were a STRYD user before 6 Apr 2020)
- Running Stress Balance (remains free if you were a STRYD user before 6 Apr 2020)
- Personalised Workout Recommendations (remains free if you were a STRYD user before 6 Apr 2020)
- Training distribution & comparison (remains free if you were a STRYD user before 6 Apr 2020)
To re-iterate, if you get your plans from somewhere else and analyse your data somewhere else then you probably won’t even notice any of this stuff happening. You’ll be unaffected.
If you use the STRYD app platform then the new, clever features and the new structured workout & planning features can only be accessed by members.
The market for the members’ subscription service is probably for committed power runners rather than triathletes. To some extent, STRYD’s membership features will take business away from 3rd party plan providers but only for those who want to immerse themselves in the STRYD platform.
Overall there is some impressive work here and it’s great to think how a straightforward, accurate footpod from Colarado has morphed into a unique global running platform.
The New Workout Builder
The new workout builder from STRYD is impressive.
The Builder contains many usual features when it comes to building workout steps and repeated intervals/phases. The clever parts come in when you are able to quickly save a new workout to your calendar or to one of your own collections. Similarly, you can browse through STRYD’s workout collections and save individual workouts to your own collection for you to easily access later.
Membership Details IN FULL or Buy a Pod
If you want to get a STRYD and take advantage of the bundled membership deals being offered now then here are some links.
- 🇺🇸 STRYD USA: $219
- 🇪🇺 New Running Gear: £199/Eu219 – Eu Fulfimment – no import taxes
- 🇪🇺 Amazon UK: £205 – UK Fulfilment – no import taxes
- 🇪🇺 STRYD Europe: $199 – Eu Fulfimment – no import taxes
- 🇪🇺 Amazon Europe – Eu 219-Eu249,
- 🇺🇸 Amazon USA – Normally not sold