SiS 40% Off EVERYTHING on their site
It’s time to stock up on your winter gels and other sugary and proteiny goodies
SiS 5:4 Maltodextrin to Fructose
Just when you thought it was safe to have a gel, SiS come and spoil your party. Like you, I have been blindly taking as true the not-so-old adage that “glucose:fructose ratios need to be 2:1 to maximise how your gut absorbs carbs”.
Well, 2:1 ratios are only able to allow 62% of ingested carbs to be oxidised. Change the ratio of maltodextrin:fructose to 5:4 and that’s boosted to 74%…a 20% increase.
Here is the research by O’Brien, Stannard et al which concludes:
Enhanced high-intensity endurance performance with a 0.8 ratio fructose-maltodextrin-glucose drink is characterized by higher exogenous-CHO oxidation efficiency and reduced endogenous-CHO oxidation.
Sis sell the stuff in 3 formats
- Energy Drink Powder – to minimise GI distress
- Gels – with nootropics for improved cognitive function
- Chew bars – an easy-to-chew formula
My Personal Take
If you are a high-level athlete competing on the edge this will probably make a difference. To you and me …less so.
If we are competing in Olympic distance events or shorter I guess there’s no point either
That said I didn’t know that energy drink powders aided GI distress and might switch to that next year when my gels have run out. I do get GI distress if I fuel only with gels and my current strategy is to alternate them with something solid, which seems to help.
Check Out How Much It Costs
It’s not crazily expensive and comes in at £2 a gel, probably about $/Eu2.50/gel
My Experience with SiS
I recently got a few freebies from SiS (Thank you) and have been using them on and off for a couple of months almost exclusively on longer rides of 90 minutes to 5 hours.
I have to say the packaging looks awesome, so I intend to save a few to use as props in some photos.
I used these
- Powder – Beta Fuel Dual Source Energy Drink – tastes nice. Kept me going…
- NOOTROPICS Gel – Beta Fuel Dual Source Energy Gel – tastes REALLY nice despite being apple flavoured. Kept me going…
- Energy Chew – Beta Fuel Dual Source Energy Gel – tastes a bit too sweet even with my favourite orange flavour. I tended to eat them quickly and then unusually got GID. Drinking water stopped that happening and/or allowing quite a bit of time in my mouth to start digestion with saliva seemed to significantly help stop GID.
- Orange flavour Gel – Beta Fuel Dual Source Energy Gel – tastes nice. Kept me going…
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners (which costs you no extra) and, for that, I receive a small commission. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.