Garmin Epix Gen 2 – What We Know So Far (3/3)
It’s only a few weeks away.
- Big news. The screws have moved. The bolts that were on the Fenix bezel are now next to where the QuickFit strap fastens into the lugs. With that excitement over let’s move on…
- Here are some pictures. Which are not mine and, of course, not hosted on this site or anywhere under my control, nor were they given to me. As you can see it’s a Fenix in all but name.
3. Hmm, looks nice. Wanna buy one? How does £800/$1000/Eu1000 sound? That’s very, very close to what the actual price will be
4. Real-Time Stamina (Firstbeat) – Garmin’s marketing spiel is that this real-time metric can help you avoid overexerting yourself at the start of your bike/run activities. I’m assuming this would be something like W’bal, ie at any given time you have a given ability for work that is fuelled by anaerobic energy systems, so Stamina could be a measure based on that. However, I would have thought that the usefulness of such a real-time measure would more precisely depend on your target race distance/effort level. For an Ironman, it would be lower than such a level. Perhaps this is copying the (excellent) concepts relied on by Xert? If so this again would suggest that native Running Power is close as its calculations use very similar concepts.
5. New SKIVIEW maps area added. >2,000 resorts with the individual pistes by name and by difficulty.
6. Multi-Continent Topo Maps – As on the Fenix 7 these can be downloaded over WiFi. Also as with the Fenix 7, they come preloaded on Sapphire versions
7. I guess that means there is a sapphire version of Epix Gen 2 as well 😉 (There is). A Sapphire screen is worth it if you can afford the premium as they are much less likely to scratch and your Epix is an expensive beast.
8. Up Ahead Feature – Get “at-a-glance awareness for selected POI checkpoints ahead”. Make of that what you will.
9. 1.3″, AMOLED Touchscreen, 454x454px. The same size as the regular F7, the F7 is lower resolution, non-AMOLED
10. 18 January is the favourite date (media event, announcement could be the following day)
Be notified of new info and follow for free here: Become a FREE follower.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners (which costs you no extra) and, for that, I receive a small commission. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.