Garmin Connect Global Trends
According to a new report produced by Garmin and based on your activities recorded in Garmin Connect, Garmin users worldwide continue to significantly increase their fitness activities,
One interesting highlight was Trail Running, which is very much en vogue. Overall, running only slightly increased but Trail Running showed a much more significant increase of 11.58% globally with Europe being that at 14.52%
The increase in indoor activities recorded on Garmin devices grew by twice as many as outdoor activities with standout increases in Pilates (108%) and Yoga (45%)
There was a particularly notable increase in Gravel cycling which almost increased by 50%
- Pilates: 108.30%
- Breathwork: 82.76%
- Gravel cycling: 49.55%
- Yoga: 45.55%
- Winter sports: 39.16%
- Walking: 37.13%
- Golf: 28.35%
- Swimming: 22.48%
- Hiking: 19.57%
- Trail running: 11.58%
Here are some interesting regional variations
- South America performed 125.41% more breathwork activities, 87.51% more gravel rides and 37.6% more trail runs.
- Western Europe logged an increase of 59.86% more gravel cycling rides, 14.52% more trail runs and 65.57% more yoga activities.
- Eastern European countries recorded an 85.02% increase in yoga activities and a 66.13% increase in gravel rides.
- North Americans added 34.39% more yoga activities and 28.54% more gravel rides.
- CAMENA (Central Asia Middle East and North Africa) logged 217.11%more Pilates activities, 57.53% more gravel rides and 44.96% more swimming activities.
- Central America performed 54.49% more gravel rides and 43.98% more swimming activities.
The increase in gravel, yoga, breathwork and Pilates is probably real to some degree on the ground.
Let’s not forget that some of these increase represent people recording things that previously they never thought to record (Yoga?!?) and also more accurate recording of the exact sport type eg Gravel vs MTB or Trail Riding.