Garmin Fenix 7 Sapphire
If maps, durability and accuracy are your concern, there is one KEY thing you need to know before the links start popping up on the major retail sites (some Amazon and Wiggle links are already up as pre-order)
Must Review: Garmin Fenix 7 Review & Thoughts
As you know, there is no PRO model this time around but bear in mind that the Sapphire model has different features:
- Only Sapphire models have the dual-frequency GNSS reception from the Airoha chip (MediaTek). All models have dual-constellation but that’s always been the case. Perhaps non-Sapphire models retain the Sony chip? (Edit: dc rainmaker sources confirm only Airoha, as expected)
- Sapphire models have twice the storage at 32Gb which means you get all maps pre-loaded. With non-sapphire, you have to add other regional maps manually (free)
- Sapphire models have a slightly more brittle but more superior, scratch-resistant lens. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting a stronger case but at the extremely high prices these watches are going for, get the Sapphire if you can. A scratched lens is certainly not within the Garmin warranty
- The Titanium case option is only available with a Sapphire lens
Adding Solar, Sapphire and Titanium each bump up the prices. You should seriously consider sapphire to protect the lens and Sapphire is the ONLY way to get the dual-frequency GNSS goodness.
- Fenix 7/7S – prices start at $/Eu700 (£600) up to $/Eu1000 (£860)
- Fenix 7X – prices from $/Eu900 (£779) to $/Eu1100 (£1050)
- Garmin Epix 2 – prices from £800/$900/Eu900 to £900/$1000/Eu1000
USA appears to be lacking listed products that are truly in stock. When available (now looks like late Jan 2022 onwards), this single link clicks to a choice of retail stores in your country eg Wiggle, PowerMeterCity, Amazon, REI, B&H, Walmart, Competitive Cyclist & Backcountry
On launch day no garmin.com country site is stating next day delivery. That might change. USA is saying 3 days for Epix (as of 19 Jan) and the UK longer for all SKUs including Epix, with several weeks for some SKUs.
Note: Some retailers DEFINITELY had stock, albeit limited in number (edit: but it’s all gone, everywhere, so it seems)
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners (which costs you no extra) and, for that, I receive a small commission. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.