new Garmin Features for Fenix 7/Epix 2 and Enduro 2
Garmin has just sent out a few new features to Fenix 7, Epix 2 and Enduro 2 watches. Together these comprise noteworthy improvements to RUNNING POWER and the MORNING REPORT that we should soon see in the public domain. Let’s take a quick look at the main additions
Running Power Tweaks
Garmin has made a great start with their proprietary, native implementation of running power. There were always going to be additions that needed to be made and today we get a new metric in the form of a chart datafield for power…#nice. There are also two other w/kg lap averages added which will be useful. Running Power Alerts are also added, I’ve not downloaded the alpha yet but I would imagine these will be similar to other alerts in that they allow alerts based on ZONES as well as manually set high/low alert levels. Finally, there is a power chart added to the workout summary you see when you finish a run.
It’s almost certain that these features will find their way to all other watches that support running power, like the Forerunner 955.
Running Power Market Insight: We’ve just seen Suunto release running power calculation on the wrist in its 9 Peak Pro watch as did Apple with its latest WatchOS 9 update for Watch Ultra, Watch 8 and others. Stryd has also announced its next-generation pod which will ship soon. One more mystery announcement will land in the next few weeks and that pretty much completes the tech landscape for running power for the next few years. Who will succeed and who will fail? The next 2 years should tell us.
There are a couple of cosmetic improvements to the Morning Report that add backgrounds to all pages and allow you to change the order of the various elements that make up the morning report (I thought you could already do that in the Connect app?). The addition of STEP GOALS and CALENDARs should please some of us.
- Added Calendar and Step goal to Morning Report.
- Added alerts for running power.
- Added power chart data field.
- Added power chart to post activity summary.
- Added run power data fields for average watts/kg and lap watts/kg.
- Added System Settings App.(?)
- Added hotkey and power controls access for Settings app.
- Added QR code to Bluetooth pairing flow.
- Added a prompt to end Resume Later for an activity when the user is near their sleep window.
- Added ability to add, remove, and reorder Morning Report items.
- Added background to Morning Report data pages.
- Fixed an issue causing Morning Report to show up at incorrect times.
- Fixed issue causing confusion between daily suggested workouts and primary races.
- Fixed issue causing incorrect What’s New strings.
- Fixed issue causing storm alerts to improperly show up.
- Fixed issue with the activity history list when a large number of activities were present.
- Fixed issue with Connect IQ Swim data fields.
- Fixed an issue with the Tides app not reflecting the system time setting.
- Fixed issues where maps were loading more than necessary.
- Fixed issues with QR code pairing flow and pairing flow in general.
- Fixed potential issues in Daily Suggested Workouts when changing target type.
- Fixed potential issue with power zone graph drawing.
- Fixed potential issue with run power data field subcategories.
- Fixed some graphics drawing issues.
- Fixed UI issues with Training Readiness and Intensity Minutes in Morning Report.
- Fixes and Improvements to Morning Report.
- Fixed the issue causing increased battery drain after disconnecting from a charger.
- Fixed potential issue where Always On display would turn off.
- Improvements and fixes for running power.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.