GCN+ and GCN App to Close
In a decision driven by its parent company, Warner Bros Discovery, Global Cycling Network (GCN) has announced the closure of its GCN+ premium content platform and the GCN app. This change will take effect on December 19, 2023. The official line from the company talks about strategic realignment and a pseudo-continuation of existing services via different media. Still, the reality must be that it isn’t making enough money.
The main news to GCN fans is, “Don’t Panic!” the GCN YouTube channel that you love and regularly watch will continue with its current revenue model of advertising revenue support and paid-for promotions.
In the relatively unlikely event that you either use the GCN app or subscribe to GCN+:
- GCN+ subscribers: Your subscription will end on December 19, 2023, and you will no longer have access to the GCN+ service or app. You will receive a pro-rata refund if your subscription extends beyond this date.
- GCN app users: You will no longer be able to access the GCN app after December 19, 2023.
Alternative options for cycling content:
- European fans: You can continue to watch live cycling on Discovery+ and Eurosport.
- UK-based subscribers: You can access cycling content through a Discovery+ Standard plan, priced at £6.99/month.
- USA-based subscribers: Information regarding the availability of live cycling events is not yet available but will be updated in the coming weeks.
Financial woes continue to beset many aspects of the global cycling market. Specialist media channels are no exception.
At times when consumers are cutting discretionary spending it is services like GCN+ that will quickly bear the brunt.
Perhaps then you have to wonder what counts as non-discretionary. Perhaps $80/year for Strava might be essential for some, I would guess that $100 a year for people who use Zwift must classify as a necessity. But then how many people are there who subscribe to each of those platforms but don’t really use them? those are the kinds of revenue sources that Zwift/Strava might lose and we don’t know their magnitude.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.