Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Settings
Curious to see what everyone is using? GPS or GPS + GLONASS?

Only tried GPS only once and it did not go well. But it was quite tough conditions for tracking and my Suunto sucked that day as well
To the extent that it makes a difference at all, I suspect most of that difference will be due to satellite positions and, to a lesser extent, terrain/location. In other words, if one setting is better at 2:00pm, a different setting might well be better at 3:00pm. (GPS satellites are not geosynchronous, so satellite visibility varies continuously.) There could be bugs in the firmware that are more likely to be triggered by one constellation over another, or more likely to triggered when trying to track multiple constellations simultaneously. (Just guessing, but that could have been Garmin's issue with GPS+GLONASS.) Aside from such bugs, though, I'd suggest it doesn't matter. That's not to say that *for a given workout* one setting might prove better than another setting; just that there's no way to predict which setting is better in advance.

To answer your question directly, mine shipped with the default of GPS only, and I've seen no reason to change it.
I use the gps plan app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-plan...49032?mt=8 that tells you the likely GNSS signal quality.

@sathomasga is right in that GNSS conditions vary quickly.

DOP absolutely does affect GNSS quality

predictive: yes, that's a good point. i think the app might give you future positions BUT even then I suspect that the other elements of what you say about various bugs/features may come in to play
(12-23-2018, 10:55 AM)the5krunner Wrote: I  use the gps plan app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-plan...49032?mt=8 that tells you the likely GNSS signal quality.

predictive: yes, that's a good point. i think the app might give you future positions BUT even then I suspect that the other elements of what you say about various bugs/features may come in to play

Do you actively change the watch set up based on the satellite availability? Or is it more of an FYI?
Well, you'd have to say that this run was pretty bad. Here's a section that includes a couple of times around a 3-mile loop. Actual trail is yellow; Apex tracks are blue. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17]

Full workout on Stava. What was a ~ 13.5 mile run shows up as 11.3 miles.

FWIW, other watches (Ambit3 and V800) haven't done so well on this trail either, so I guess I should reset my expectations.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'd be curious to see how the others do on that route. I have been running side by side with my A3P quite a bit and the tracks are usually very similar. Apex outperformed it on my last run and hike today.

One thing I've noticed running quite a few out and backs is that the Apex seems very consistent with the distances

Hike today is listed as just over 1.8 miles. Apex reported 1.79 A3P showed 2.01 but over reported the hike down (compared to same route up) by 1/10th mile. Really happy with the Apex track considering the tree cover. 

https://strava.app.link/8kACj21s5S
(12-23-2018, 03:58 PM)Stromz Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 10:55 AM)the5krunner Wrote: I  use the gps plan app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-plan...49032?mt=8 that tells you the likely GNSS signal quality.

Do you actively change the watch set up based on the satellite availability? Or is it more of an FYI?

it's more of a fyi(for my info). if i am going to criticise or praise a watch's gps performance i want to have as much info as i can
(12-31-2018, 04:21 AM)Stromz Wrote: I'd be curious to see how the others do on that route. ...

Not exactly comparing apples to apples since the dates are different, but for edification:

Ambit3 Peak:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18]

V800:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=19]

And, by far the best track, is the Apple Watch Series 2. (There are two loops in this workout, but they track so closely that it often looks like a single pass.)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20]

I could probably dig up some Fenix 5 examples too, but those were comical. Basically looked like a two year had been handed a crayon. (After a couple of attempts on these trails, the Fenix 5 went back to REI pronto. I've not purchased a Garmin since.)

As it turns out, all of those tracks are from summer runs where the tree cover is much more extensive than yesterday's run with the Apex.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-31-2018, 07:59 PM)sathomasga Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 04:21 AM)Stromz Wrote: I'd be curious to see how the others do on that route. ...

Not exactly comparing apples to apples since the dates are different, but for edification:

Ambit3 Peak:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18]

V800:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=19]

And, by far the best track, is the Apple Watch Series 2. (There are two loops in this workout, but they track so closely that it often looks like a single pass.)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20]

I could probably dig up some Fenix 5 examples too, but those were comical. Basically looked like a two year had been handed a crayon. (After a couple of attempts on these trails, the Fenix 5 went back to REI pronto. I've not purchased a Garmin since.)

As it turns out, all of those tracks are from summer runs where the tree cover is much more extensive than yesterday's run with the Apex.

Did you have your mobile with you during the workout wit the Apple watch? If yes: was the watch connected to the mobile (BT on?) Because in that case, the GPS track is the one from your mobile GPS receiver and not from the watch.
Apex looks pretty close to the V800. What were the overall distances reported?

Think there is some smoothing occurring with the Apex. Fastest and slowest speeds have consistently been closer to the average than that reported by the A3P (example from last run where A3P showed a 4ish minute mile during a steep downhill section which is definitely closer to reality than the 7:15 reported by the Apex).

Perhaps under reported distances are a result of smoothing a bit too much?