Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin 935 Plus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garmin High End Multisport Watch Speculation Here: https://the5krunner.com/2018/06/01/garmi...-6-review/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further thoughts welcomed, below. What would you like to see?

With the release of the Garmin Fenix 5 Plus series, a notable omission was the PLUS version of the Forerunner 935 Triathlon watch.

This could be because the 'plus' features like contactless payments were not considered appropriate for a 'pro' multisport watch.

Or it could be that a 'plus' version was not needed to fix any of the sensor/connection problems that exists with the Fenix 5 series.

Or it could be that the Forerunner 9xx is dead. We may, instead, see the same product reincarnated as the Forerunner 645 Triathlon

Perhaps the 935 Plus model was being held back to be launched to spoil the release of Polar's Vantage models? That clearly turned out NOT to be the case.

Garmin WILL have a major new product announcement near to CES2019. Will it be the 935 Plus?
.) more memory
.) map functionality as like Fenix 5x plus
.) bigger (viewable area) display with higher resolution, no need of this black useless border...
(11-19-2018, 12:11 PM)Joe Wrote: .) more memory
.) map functionality as like Fenix 5x plus
.) bigger (viewable area) display with higher resolution, no need of this black useless border...

yep and yep.
i think the black border, if removed in favour of a larger screen, would then create power implications.
if the watch were made smaller and the size of the useful screen area kept the same, then there would be less space inside the watch and then compromises would have to be made as a result.
there could also be an element of protection (maybe)
Yes, to getting rid of the black border. The housing is quite chunky anyway, and acts as protection, while at the same time adding to the overall size of the watch significantly.
The Vantage models basically are the same size, yet without the thick housing. However, I'm pretty sure, that there is lots of tech crammed underneath, otherwise I see no reason for companies to feature those hideous borders. I mean, they even go to great lengths not showing those borders in marketing shots. When I bought my M430, I thought it had a full black screen covering the whole face, because that's how it looked on Polar's page, and on the box. I was quite disappointed. From DCR's and T5kR's reviews I knew about the Vantage's borders, but same story: the marketing shots show a full black screen, tack sharp, and with rich contrast.

I don't really care for more. I'd rather they don't introduce stuff that nobody asked for. I'm afraid, though, the 935 is as bare bones as possible as far as Garmin is concerned at its price point, and the segment it occupies. Even though I could do with a lot less (like the Vantage V), if that means getting a pure tri-watch with superior GPS accuracy, and decent battery.
There are firstbeat metrics not in the current crop of Garmin wearables. I think incorporating those and having actionable training *suggestions* from Garmin based on all that data is the best thing they could add *somewhere* in their lineup. I could see the argument that the 9xx doesn't target that audience.
(12-03-2018, 04:10 PM)soap Wrote: There are firstbeat metrics not in the current crop of Garmin wearables.  I think incorporating those and having actionable training *suggestions* from Garmin based on all that data is the best thing they could add *somewhere* in their lineup.  I could see the argument that the 9xx doesn't target that audience.

yeah for running they still need to do more on the training suggestion/caoching piece

try doing that for triathlon...3 sports...not easy.
(12-03-2018, 11:48 PM)the5krunner Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:10 PM)soap Wrote: There are firstbeat metrics not in the current crop of Garmin wearables.  I think incorporating those and having actionable training *suggestions* from Garmin based on all that data is the best thing they could add *somewhere* in their lineup.  I could see the argument that the 9xx doesn't target that audience.

yeah for running they still need to do more on the training suggestion/caoching piece

try doing that for triathlon...3 sports...not easy.

I just bought the 645 - and guess it´s quite similar to the 935 except the tri-stuff.
Now that it doesn't have a coaching/training suggestion like Firstbeat’s Personalized Training Plans Cardio . and I only wan't to improve my cardio/VO2 max. Im not interested in running faster.

What training plan will me good for me on my 645?  Im thinking of doing 3 runs/trainings a week.
Should it be something like TE 3,5 two resting days, TE 2,8 one resting day, TE 2,8 one resting day and repeat this every week?
I think it would be easier to answer this or give hints, if you would tell us your intention behind this (why you like to improve cardio/VO2 max)? What sports are you doing (run only, like you mentioned?), which age you apx. are and in which shape, why do you think that you NEED to improve on cardio/VO2max,...
(12-09-2018, 07:01 PM)Joe Wrote: I think it would be easier to answer this or give hints, if you would tell us your intention behind this (why you like to improve cardio/VO2 max)? What sports are you doing (run only, like you mentioned?), which age you apx. are and in which shape, why do you think that you NEED to improve on cardio/VO2max,...

Hi Joe 

What I want, is to slowly improve my fitness level - to get more energy and better health :-)
I will try to run two times a week and do indoor bike or similar training once a week.

Im 54 years old, and is a cancer survivor - got cancer 21 years ago, so my body is bit worn out after many years of treatment..
Im able to run a 5 K without waking, but im very, very slow - my Polar Running Index on 32  says it all :-)
As I have understood it, the Firstbeat TE (Training Effect) is relative to your fitness state, so the values will always fit your current fitness level. 
Wouldn’t it then be possible to do a regime a bit like:
TE 3,5 two resting days, TE 2,8 one resting day, TE 2,8 one resting day and repeat this every week, and then slowly increase my fitness level Or would it be better to do 3 times TE 3 a week?
Thomas
Hello Thomas,

I'm not even able to tell how to reach TE2,8 or any other figure for myself. I woud say: dont give to much attention to the figures and more on that wat you feel. In MY opinion - if you like to improve, you should do at least on session/week, where you get out of your comfortable zone (where fun ends ;-) ). This does not neccessary mean to jump into HIIT training immediately, which I would say is something to keep for later. A combination of some long, slow jogs and some Fartleg training togeather with cardio, stabilisation and coordination training would be a good start. Start slow and if you think more is possible, just try. And do not forget to recover after your workout.

You need to find your pace first, to get a feeling for having improved, did stay on the same level or were a lazy guy. The, I think you can start to have a look on the figures.

Just my 5c.