Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vantage Footpod Update FW V2
I've received some clarification from Polar (@SM) for the V&M footpod usage.

1. All footpods should work in same way. ie powerpods and regular pods like STRYD and Polar STRIDE.
2. There ARE currently some scenarios when behaviour is not consistent. It is true that currently GPS is the default souce of speed HOWEVER when you sync with FLOW a default setting is inadvertently changed to FOOTPOD SPEED not GPS speed. (This is ambiguous, see point 5)
3. M&V should work 'similarly'
4. *** V2.0 *** firmware will be released in December as we know (target). This SHOULD INCLUDE default speed source to be from the POD as well as other speed related enhancements which i wont list here.
5. Only one speed source is used ie what is on FLOW will be the same as you see on your VANTAGE
6. Currently there is autocalibration of the POD by GPS by the Vantage. However FLOWSYNC loses this factor (bug). So if yo uuse a POD and v1.x firmware then use FLOW on the app.
7. Manual calibration will be implemented in 'later releases'
Sounds great that Polar is on the case. Thank you for asking them and updating us!

Did you try Vantage V with the Milestone pod? I emailed Milestone but they have not tried it themselves with either Vantage´s so they could not guarantee anything. Thinking of perhaps picking one up if I find a good deal in the coming days.
Thanks 5K !! very interesting !
About v2 firmware (4.), when you say "This SHOULD INCLUDE default speed source to be from the POD", would this mean that there will be no autocalibration of the POD by GPS ?
because I think there is no advantage to have speed source from the POD if POLAR autocalibrate the pod with the poor GPS accuracy... :-(
(11-19-2018, 05:10 PM)gduc Wrote: Thanks 5K !! very interesting !
About v2 firmware (4.), when you say "This SHOULD INCLUDE default speed source to be from the POD", would this mean that there will be no autocalibration of the POD by GPS ?
because I think there is no advantage to have speed source from the POD if POLAR autocalibrate the pod with the poor GPS accuracy... :-(

hey don't shoot the messenger ;-)
I've rephrased what Polar have said so it made sense to me. I think some of it has some ambiguity in niche cases and there is some other info that will come out in the wash next month.
POD functionality is a key area for some performance athletes, i'll be surprised if Polar don't do it properly.
Thanks a lot 5k :-D
What other speed related issues with be released with the 2.0 firmware update?
Hope to se "last lap pace".
(11-19-2018, 03:47 PM)the5krunner Wrote: I've received some clarification from Polar (@SM) for the V&M footpod usage.

(...)
6. Currently there is autocalibration of the POD by GPS by the Vantage. However FLOWSYNC loses this factor (bug). So if yo uuse a POD and v1.x firmware then use FLOW on the app.
(...)

Thanks for the "clarification".
I made the experience that auto-calibration needs about 500m of good GPS signal to figure out a factor. I have a ~450m loop on my daily route where I know the exact distance AND have a clear signal. After about one lap the Vantage matches my 935 + track calibrated Stryd. As soon as both watches' instant paces match for another couple hundred meters, I stop the activity, switch to my Running Profile without GPS, and continue my run. This workaround is very annoying, because for some reason the calibration would sometimes get reversed, and my pace is way off my 935, for no apparent reason. However, now that you mention the bug in Flowsync I know why.
I really hope Polar can fix this. I run in the downtown area of a 2-mil-city where GPS tracks are all over the place, and a Stryd (or good pod) is a must to hit paces for quality sessions.
So what is the workaround until new FW is released after FLOWSYNC loose the factor?
- Do two steady runs, with a bright sky and a straight line, for at least 600 meters.
- After these 2 runs can we assume a new factor is in the watch or do we have to use the FLOW app to get the new factor...?
- Until you sync the watch with FLOWSYNC, we're all good. Otherwise repeat step 1.

Brings me to another question... By using the FLOW app, do you get new A-GPS data updated?
(11-21-2018, 07:36 AM)Walter Wrote: Brings me to another question... By using the FLOW app, do you get new A-GPS data updated?

not sure. i would have thought you do.
my vantage seems to take too long to get a first gpsfix

FYI:  when you are using GPS then the A-GPS should be updated from the satellites. IIRC this will last for over a week. so if you run outdoors once every two or three days you should alsways have up to date a-gps (something like that)
That’s not how A-GPS work. Assisted GPS is updated daily, but data is only sent to Flow once a week and stays valid for 13 days (getting worse after three days, and declining further).
Flow Sync gets A-GPS updates from the servers daily! So ideally you wanna flowsync your A-GPS supported watch after 3 at the latest to get an update.