Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The built-in ANT+ in Vantage V
Why is not the built-in ANT+ enabled in the Vantage V yet? 

DCRainmaker claims the hardware is there but Polar is not flipping the switch to turn it on. Will they? If so, when? Anyone got inside information or wants to speculate? 

I do not want to buy the CABLE (ANT+ to BLE) gadget now and have to put it in a drawer.

Thanks.
Polar told me it wasn't going to happen. Not sure who told him that.
Just because a hardware chipset in the device supports a radio communication protocol does not mean it'll get activated. There is a lot that would have to also be in there (Antenna design, qualification, certification, and ANT+ fees).

I highly doubt Polar has any of that in the Vantage–so a software update is not going to magically unlock those functions.
(01-04-2019, 04:18 PM)Flyespresso Wrote: Just because a hardware chipset in the device supports a radio communication protocol does not mean it'll get activated. There is a lot that would have to also be in there (Antenna design, qualification, certification, and ANT+ fees).

I highly doubt Polar has any of that in the Vantage–so a software update is not going to magically unlock those functions.

yeah and i think they´ve enough to do with the improvement and update roadmap and dont have ressources to implement ant+ boradcasting now.
(01-04-2019, 04:54 PM)naiboo Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 04:18 PM)Flyespresso Wrote: Just because a hardware chipset in the device supports a radio communication protocol does not mean it'll get activated. There is a lot that would have to also be in there (Antenna design, qualification, certification, and ANT+ fees).

yeah and i think they´ve enough to do with the improvement and update roadmap and dont have ressources to implement ant+ boradcasting now.

plus ANT+ is not on the box or the rear of the device...something that simple would be a faff to change. it would probably need new FCC certification???? ie MONTHS away

maybe instead they might try it on a Vantage Lite with no PM support as that would be harder
but then why? just for HR and spd/cad support?
(01-04-2019, 06:10 PM)the5krunner Wrote: maybe instead they might try it on a Vantage Lite with no PM support as that would be harder

to get rid of the whiners who complain about the lack of ant+ support?

two standards is ok for me, noth have pros and cons. there are diesel and gasoline cars aswell, nobody wants the car companies to support both fuels Big Grin
(01-04-2019, 12:47 PM)the5krunner Wrote: Polar told me it wasn't going to happen. Not sure who told him that.

Thank you ^^
(01-04-2019, 06:10 PM)the5krunner Wrote:

plus ANT+ is not on the box or the rear of the device...something that simple would be a faff to change. it would probably need new FCC certification???? ie MONTHS away

maybe instead they might try it on a Vantage Lite with no PM support as that would be harder

It's more than just FCC, like I replied, it does not currently have any antenna to broadcast on ANT+ frequencies. The actual hardware, as currently shipping, can't support it. Just because a chip on the circuit board does, does not mean the extra hardware needed is there. In this case, the traces that lead to an Antenna that works for the ANT+ spectrum.

The V800 was the same, the chipset supported it but there was NO antenna that supported ANT+.

TL;dr: It'd require a new hardware revision, and all currently shipped units would not get ANT+.
(01-07-2019, 10:14 PM)Flyespresso Wrote:

It's more than just FCC, like I replied, it does not currently have any antenna to broadcast on ANT+ frequencies. The actual hardware, as currently shipping, can't support it. Just because a chip on the circuit board does, does not mean the extra hardware needed is there. In this case, the traces that lead to an Antenna that works for the ANT+ spectrum.

The V800 was the same, the chipset supported it but there was NO antenna that supported ANT+.

TL;dr: It'd require a new hardware revision, and all currently shipped units would not get ANT+.

ok.
so following that though : realistically it ain't gonna happen for either the V or M (nor a V plus or M plus)

DCR seems to have heard 'something'. so my guess would be that a VANTAGE LITE my test out reaction and takeup of of a new cut down vantage runnign watch BUT with ANT+

more likely, as i was told by polar, there will be no ANT+
(01-08-2019, 10:30 AM)the5krunner Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 10:14 PM)Flyespresso Wrote:

ok.
so following that though : realistically it ain't gonna happen for either the V or M (nor a V plus or M plus)

DCR seems to have heard 'something'. so my guess would be that a VANTAGE LITE my test out reaction and takeup of of a new cut down vantage runnign watch BUT with ANT+

more likely, as i was told by polar, there will be no ANT+

Yeah it'd be a big surprise in the same unit. Technically they're both on the 2.4ghz freq but if you look up FCCID for say a Fenix, they have it separate than the bluetooth–also what is interesting is the power used by ANT+ is a lot higher..!