Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V3.0.10 Firmware
The new firmware (v3) is available now and has all the expected features.

https://the5krunner.com/2019/02/11/polar...19-update/

Also included are FAVORITES on the watch. Which is nice.

Regarding footpod usage (STRYD). Polar say this: "For footpod use, yes, all footpods should be default source for speed and distance (already in 2.0) and route comes from GPS"

I've not yet tried to test STRYD. Does everyone know if all is good when it comes to retaining the correct calibration
No option To manually calibrate the Stryd in 3.0...
Well that does it for me then. Garmin it is i guess. Curious is the hr sensor any better?
(02-11-2019, 11:48 PM)Postaltwo Wrote: Well that does it for me then. Garmin it is i guess. Curious is the hr sensor any better?

Well, OHR is very dependent on individual features, like color of skin, body hair, location of vessels. For me the 935s OHR works much more accurately than the Vantage's "precision prime". When I use both my Vantage, and the 935 with the Vantage paired with H7, and 935 using OHR, the 935 ends up with the same avg. and max HR as the strap- always. The other way round not so much. Especially HR spikes are something the Vantage has a problem handling. Also, DCR found the Vantage's ohr "nothing much to write home about", as he said, while he has had good experience with the 935's OHR.

That being said, I wouldn't rely on optical reading if I based my training on HR. Since I train by pace, and sometimes power/RPE, I just want a ballpark figure for HR in the files, which OHR is fine for.
(02-12-2019, 07:37 AM)flokon Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 11:48 PM)Postaltwo Wrote: Well that does it for me then. Garmin it is i guess. Curious is the hr sensor any better?

Well, OHR is very dependent on individual features, like color of skin, body hair, location of vessels. For me the 935s OHR works much more accurately than the Vantage's "precision prime". When I use both my Vantage, and the 935 with the Vantage paired with H7, and 935 using OHR, the 935 ends up with the same avg. and max HR as the strap- always. The other way round not so much. Especially HR spikes are something the Vantage has a problem handling. Also, DCR found the Vantage's ohr "nothing much to write home about", as he said, while he has had good experience with the 935's OHR.

That being said, I wouldn't rely on optical reading if I based my training on HR. Since I train by pace, and sometimes power/RPE, I just want a ballpark figure for HR in the files, which OHR is fine for.

yes.

DCR seems to have an 'ideal' anatomy for optical hr, where it frequently works for him from various vendors. He has started to note even more clearly that, as you say, results vary from person to person.

check out my detailed 935 accuracy review (and the fenix 5 and 5plus) you will see some howlers in there for the Garmin Elevate sensor working on me...but then again, i am a difficult oHR subject.

even the fabled apple watch 4 oHR, in my extensive tests, had problems with cadence lock/crossover when running (on me) but dcr had excellent results. (my gut feeling would be that apple watch would work best for most people but that woudl just be me extrapolating from a sample size of one...me)
and again no route data field adjustment is possible Sad

Is there an option to catch the lap while you have the transition between phases or like in v800 the watch is dead deaf and can't interpret button press or screen tap?

BR,
MCC
(02-11-2019, 04:54 PM)the5krunner Wrote: (...)
Regarding footpod usage (STRYD). Polar say this: "For footpod use, yes, all footpods should be default source for speed and distance (already in 2.0) and route comes from GPS"

I've not yet tried to test STRYD. Does everyone know if all is good when it comes to retaining the correct calibration

For my last 3 runs since Monday the Vantage kept the calibration factor, using GPS or not.
(02-14-2019, 07:50 AM)flokon Wrote:

For my last 3 runs since Monday the Vantage kept the calibration factor, using GPS or not.

How do you know this? Is there a way to see the calibration factor?
(02-14-2019, 02:45 PM)tx911 Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 07:50 AM)flokon Wrote:

How do you know this? Is there a way to see the calibration factor?
I'm going to assume it was a passing look by both what the Vantage reported against what Stryd reported to its platform.
Train for everything because you'll always be prepared for anything.
i'm still waiting on clarification on various questions posed to Polar BTW