Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Galaxy Active
https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-watch-active/

I talked about this before, but there's a bunch of interesting things here that make it unique.

-Blood pressure on board
-5atm (50 meters waterproof) and military-grade durability and dust resistant.
-Weighs only 25g! The Forerunner 935 is 45g
-360x360 resolution which is nice.
-45 hours (about two days) lifespan, but, you can charge it from the back of the newest Samsung phones, and it's supposedly very fast to full charge (a little over an hour from 0%)
-.75GB of Ram, which is nice and 4GB of storage, which seems standard now on watches that come with storage
-Onboard Samsung Pay (but not MST tech)
-Lots of sports profiles, no info on external sensor support (BTS or ANT +) No info on sports metrics offered (Vo2 Max, etc...)
-Retail at $199

That last one, $200 is interesting as that undercuts ANY smartwatch with sports at its center in the market. Color me intrigued here. I have zero brand loyalty, but I am interested in what you can and can not do with it and how much training metrics in the watch correlate to my needs.
Train for everything because you'll always be prepared for anything.
(02-21-2019, 09:10 PM)jstpassaro Wrote: https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-watch-active/

I talked about this before, but there's a bunch of interesting things here that make it unique.

-Blood pressure on board
-45 hours (about two days) lifespan, but, you can charge it from the back of the newest Samsung phones, and it's supposedly very fast to full charge (a little over an hour from 0%)
-.75GB of Ram, which is nice and 4GB of storage, which seems standard now on watches that come with storage
-Lots of sports profiles, no info on external sensor support (BTS or ANT +) No info on sports metrics offered (Vo2 Max, etc...)
-Retail at $199

That last one, $200 is interesting as that undercuts ANY smartwatch with sports at its center in the market. Color me intrigued here. I have zero brand loyalty, but I am interested in what you can and can not do with it and how much training metrics in the watch correlate to my needs.

it looks pleasant enough, i suspect there could be conencted-GPS and all the nonesense that would come with that.
$200 sounds good though, maybe a good comparator is the Withings MOVE. ??
(02-22-2019, 01:48 PM)the5krunner Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 09:10 PM)jstpassaro Wrote: https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-watch-active/

-Blood pressure on board
-Retail at $199

it looks pleasant enough, i suspect there could be conencted-GPS and all the nonesense that would come with that.
The Active seems to have onboard GPS, but no clue to GLONASS or Galileo support, the Galaxy fit (which is a band) offers connected GPS. I have no evidence as to what type of GPS unit they are using or how accurate it is, but still, $200 for a GPS unit is super cheap. If Stryd puts an app out for it, that's even better. I kind of wish Samsung would have added more to the specs pre-launch because when then piecemeal info it feels more like they are hiding things rather than trying to sell the consumer on the product
(02-22-2019, 03:19 PM)jstpassaro Wrote:

-Blood pressure on board
-Retail at $199

The Active seems to have onboard GPS, but no clue to GLONASS or Galileo support, the Galaxy fit (which is a band) offers connected GPS. I have no evidence as to what type of GPS unit they are using or how accurate it is, but still, $200 for a GPS unit is super cheap. If Stryd puts an app out for it, that's even better. I kind of wish Samsung would have added more to the specs pre-launch because when then piecemeal info it feels more like they are hiding things rather than trying to sell the consumer on the product

Bluetooth4.2, Wi-Fi b/g/n, NFC, GPS/Glonass/Beidou/Galileo

From the specs page: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/ga...ive/specs/
(02-22-2019, 04:15 PM)Joe Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 03:19 PM)jstpassaro Wrote:

-Blood pressure on board
-Retail at $199

Bluetooth4.2, Wi-Fi b/g/n, NFC, GPS/Glonass/Beidou/Galileo

From the specs page: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/ga...ive/specs/
Bah, no ANT +, but not hopeless, I know people were trying to jimmy-rig the Gear s3 to support ANT+ (don't ask me how).
The specs are there on this watch (or the last Galaxy Gear Sport) to be a good running watch. Sporty Watch even did a great job of adding third party sensor support. But unless someone can develop an app to do intervals, structured workouts etc, it's going to be just another watch.
(02-22-2019, 10:48 PM)DrEvil Wrote: The specs are there on this watch (or the last Galaxy Gear Sport) to be a good running watch. Sporty Watch even did a great job of adding third party sensor support. But unless someone can develop an app to do intervals, structured workouts etc, it's going to be just another watch.

Under the "fun" tab they list paired apps (Strava etc...) Would like a STRYD app!
(02-23-2019, 05:35 PM)jstpassaro Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 10:48 PM)DrEvil Wrote: The specs are there on this watch (or the last Galaxy Gear Sport) to be a good running watch. Sporty Watch even did a great job of adding third party sensor support. But unless someone can develop an app to do intervals, structured workouts etc, it's going to be just another watch.

Under the "fun" tab they list paired apps (Strava etc...) Would like a STRYD app!

So would I! But Stryd are not going to develop one given they seem very Apple Watch focused and otherwise are focusing on phone apps.
the qooapps app supports stryd on samsung gear/galaxy (runs with Tizen 4.0.0.3)
Any more I'm relying less and less on Garmin/Firstbeat metrics - GoldenCheetah (almost fully transitioned over) / Training Peaks (still using for planning and predicting) tell me almost everything I care about. The Garmins are being used more and more as only data loggers.

I have Running Dynamics and I look at the VO2Max estimates as well (I like looking at numbers), but honestly the only actionable metric I feel I can't live without which Garmin provides is my Lactate Threshold - as this is how I set my running zones.

Oh, also, double the weight of that with battery and I might be willing to get LT some other way!