In this SunGod Classics Review we take a detailed look at the classic design that made SunGod great.
SunGod Classics Review – Custom CLASSICS2
SUNGOD are now onto their fourth model of custom-designed sunglasses. But here we go back in time with this review to the sunny days of 2015 and the introduction of the CUSTOM CLASSICS². Almost certainly these were an improvement over the original CUSTOM CLASSICS v1 – it’s a V2 thing 🙂 .
But, hey! Let’s not get too serious. These are not the sport-focussed SunGod PaceBreakers (review ed here); these CUSTOM CLASSICS² are definately for you to wear once your race is finished as you coolly admire those crossing the line behind you. Ah yes, that sweet look of victory.
If we were to get serious, we’d point out that all the components of the Custom Classics are chosen by you including: frame & lens colour; differing degrees of opacity; and polarisation. And they’re usually delivered within 1-2 days. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves as we delve into the detailed depths and product intricacies in this SunGod CLASSICS Review.
CUSTOMISING YOUR CLASSICS2
Every pair of SUNGOD CLASSICS 2 can be customised at the ‘normal’ price – there are no codes at present. These are the components that you can choose:
- Various glass colourations in both polarized and non-polarized, the latter are cheaper. There are a variety of colours based on blues green, brown, clear, grey orange and pink;
All the lenses offer 100% UV protection and, as part of the customisation process, you are given information about the suitability of each lens colour/type for various light conditions as well as an indication of the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) index – ie how dark they are! Stating the generally obvious: a darker lens tends to let less light through than a lighter lens. Here’s an example of what you are shown for the Polarized GREEN lens, the one I have.
- Replacements lens kits are available, which can be in the same colour….or a totally different colour;
- Frame Front. there are various shades of ‘grey’ from white through to black. Two blue colours and a green and a yellow. I chose a grey colour to match a similarly coloured hair I found last week – distinctive, perhaps?;
- Frame Arms can have the same or contrasting colours as the fronts.; and
- On other SunGod glass models you can choose the colour of the SUNGOD icon. Not with the CLASSICS2…
WHAT YOU GET
When your present to yourself arrives, this is what you get in the rather pretty box
Naturally you get the sunglasses but also quite a few stickers that you weren’t expecting.
You also get a microfiber cleaning & storage pouch.
SUNGOD frequently mention their “4KO” lenses – ie 4k optics, presumably wordplay on 4k video. Either way they have their own lens and that is the branding for them rather than any wider-market standard for lenses.
- The lens is made of Polycarbonate and has a degree of impact resistance.
- 100% UVA + UVB protection exceeding EN ISO 12312-1:2013 (CE) and ANSI Z80.3 (FDA) standards.
- Triple-layer scratch resistant coating + anti-reflective inner lens coating.
- Advanced polarised filter for enhanced optical clarity and precision (optional).
You want every detail to be right.
OK, you can choose the various parts of the sunglasses but here’s a close-up of some of the key parts and key details. All of the images are clickable to enlarge them for more detail.
2mm polycarbonate core lens
Cool matte finish
These are super-light, coming in at 28g, and the matte finish is super-cool looking. They are snug-fitting and comfortable.
What also stands out is the size. They measure 135mm from arm to temple. The lens width is 56mm and the nose bridge is 18mm. It’s hard to put that into perspective with words, so here they are compared to what I would consider to be a normal-sized pair of BLOC metal-framed sunglasses
When you initially wear the glasses on a bright day you get the clarity you would probably get from similar quality lenses. It seems good to me. And, as with other polarized lenses, the clarity can be further increased eg if looking at clouds. Similarly polarized lenses reduce light reflected off water.
RIDES, RUNS, DRIVES & WALKS
These are normal, multi-use sunglasses.I chose the SunGod PACEBREAKERS (review here) for their more sports-specific design.They have been great for driving around and, otherwise, generally looking cool. Or, at least, so my partner says.
These don’t really have the aesthetic for sports use but if it’s super-sunny and the CLASSICS2 are the only sunglasses you have then they will do the job.
I especially liked the polarised lenses which reduce reflections for me when driving and at the beach. I personally find myself normally squinting in such bright conditions without polarised sunglasses and eventually get a headache and then grumpiness ensues. So, at least, the CLASSICS have kept me happy and smiling in that respect 🙂
OTHER SPECIFICATIONS & TIDBITS
- There is a “lifetime guarantee against breakage” – I’d check the small print on their site when you buy but it looks like it genuinely covers the frames but would not, for example, cover a scratched lens.
- Capsule cases and spare lens kits are available for an additional cost and in this SunGod Classics Review we would recommend getting those extras when you buy the sunglasses to reduce the effect of postage costs.
- The hinge mechanism has a ‘snap lock’ – ie it snaps-to-position when open or closed but not in between
- Flexible frame – SUNGOD brand their frame as ‘Adventureproof‘ and they are made with a material they call TR90 memory polymer. The frames do maintain their shape when flexed and seem to tolerate a few cms of flexing with no ill effects, although I had no intentions of testing to anywhere near breaking point.
- The lens is clearer towards each outside edge. This might aid visibility and light transmission.
KEY SELLING POINTS – Covered in SunGod PaceBreakers Review
- Price – Seems competitive
- Design – durable
- Free Customisation
- Good optics
Competition – SunGod Classics Review
If you want a free pair then try this competition.
If you enter the comp and optionally choose to leave your email address then you will be notified when discounts are next active, usually a 10% discount is offered, sometimes more when out-of-season. Discount codes usually get released every 6 weeks or so and then they are only active for about a week. So if you can’t wait or don’t want to go through that hassle then the buy-now options are below and the sunglasses are relatively cheap so a 10% discount isn’t so great in reality.
PRICE, COMPETITION & AVAILABILITY
Let’s wrap up the SunGod Classics Review with a look at price and availability against the competition.
The lenses are interchangeable. If you are looking to get a pair of sunglasses you might consider also getting a spare lens as a backup OR as a colour/VLT alternative for ‘special’ sporting occasions 😉
EU and International Shipping options are offered, with free shipping for orders over £100.
If you order your custom sunglasses one morning you should receive them the next day…it’s super quick personalised customisation. For a custom-design pair of sunglasses I think you will find the prices hard to beat. After all…you are getting a potentially unique product which no-one else has…anywhere!
Polarsied CLASSICS2 cost £65 and non-polarised cost £45 that’s a significant discount over Oakley’s HOLBROOK which come in at £105
Purchase/Further Info Link: https://sungod.to
Supporters: I am not a salaried journalist and rely on support from readers to keep the free content coming. If you want to support the work here then ad-free subscription starts at 49p/mo (about 65c/mo). Alternatively buying anything from my partners, below, also helps and you often get a great discount. Thank you!
|Support with 10% code: the5krunner10||Support at your local country’s Amazon storefront||Support with 10% code: the5krunner10|