GarminPocalypse: Where are my steps?
On my group bike rides in recent years the frequent exclamations of ‘My Garmin has just crashed’ has got less and less. Partially that’s because I’ve convinced many people I ride with to use Wahoo and partly it’s because Garmin Edge devices have got better and more reliable. However, recent events have shown us that, as one problem is partially sorted out, another rears its ugly data-related head. In the recent GarminPocalypse, some of you have lost data, steps, workouts and more – please feel free to report/moan below,
The good news is that you shouldn’t have lost too much if any, data. This won’t quite be a consolation to those of you who are still waiting for the ability to create and use new structured workouts and courses you created in Garmin Connect.
Here’s what I see…1 ride and 1 run…hmmm. I don’t think so.
- @KHP – Has synced but appears to be missing sleep, step and HR data from July 23rd though
- @InSyt and others – appear to have a problem where there are 199 completed workouts on the device from previous months. That seems to be the maximum NUMBER. You can delete completed workouts manually from the Garmin/Activity folder, whereas normally Garmin Connect seems to have played a role in deleting the oldest one. (I archive workouts manually so had never got anywhere near 199 workouts)
- @CE – reports this same issue (199 workouts) also impacts on the ability to update the TOTAL DISTANCE records eg if Garmin can’t save the 10-mile cycle ride the 10 miles won’t get added to your running total
- @IrisVDN – report blank watch faces
- @Mirko and others – report non-functioning autolaps nor lap pace (again perhaps linked to the 199 workouts)
- @Will and others – report inability to save a workout (linked to the 199 workouts)
The Story as it unfolded
- Ransomware rumoured as major outage becomes clear
- Vaguely interesting stat show complete lack of data from Garmin Connect going to STRAVA
- TrainingPeaks sensibly recommends a password change in certain circumstances
- Possible evidence of the hack and ransom demand (only one source)
- Garmin speaks out
- Partial re-start underway (this post)
You might also like
- Must Read: STRYD Review
- Must Read: Garmin Edge 1030 Plus Review
- Must Read: Best Triathlon Watch
- Must Read: Best Running Watch
- Must Read: Apple Watch 6 PRO speculation for September