Bad news for non-Garmin companies. The Fenix 5 has lots and lots and lots of ‘stuff’; lots of versions available now at upwards of US$600 – maxing out at US$850.
Here is an overview comparison; or you can page down tot he table of comparative specs at the end of this post.
- It never used to have proper maps – it does now!! At least at the top end of the F5 range, that is. Essentially it will work & route like your SATNAV and you can add your own maps to it.
- It didn’t used to have many meaningful variants – it does now (check the exact features for the model you are interested in) – a small one, a normal one and an over-sized map-one.
- The F3 screen wasn’t quite hi-res enough – it still isn’t BUT it has improved further over the Chronos/F3 (now 240×240 compared to 218×218; and the SPARTAN has 320×300). Although note that the smaller 5s is still 218×218 (Source: garmin.com) – that is disappointing.
- Battery life was always pretty good – now it’s better. Although the precise battery power over and above the 300mAh of the F3 is not stated. ULTRATRAC is officially cited as up to 100 hours otherwise you may well get the official 20 hours of GPS battery life…not bad at all!
- It used to have 16 colours – now it has 64.
- F5 comes in slightly smaller than the older F3 sapphire: 47x47x15.5mm compared to 51.5×51.5×16.0mm
- F5s comes is NOTABLY SMALLER than the F5 at 42.0×42.0x14.5 mm
- This might appeal to smaller-wristed people
- There are 3 case variants: 42mm, 47mm, 51mm (maps). ie the 5s, 5 and 5x versions.
- F5 comes in with a slightly larger display than the older F3 sapphire: F5-30.5mm vs F3-30.4mm (27.94mm on the F5s)
- F5 Sapphire with silicon band is 87g whereas the older F3 Sapphire/titanium with silicon band was 78.2g. The F5s with silicon band is 67g
- It used to have just enough memory – now, overall, it’s doubled (although no doubt to cope with greater demands)
- wifi wasn’t on the chronos…now it’s back (Sapphire only)
- It has training effect 2.0 features (including anaerobic TE), comes with a HRM-TRI (in the appropriate version) and all that that entails with regards to multi-sports and caching.
- It supports footpods
- It does SUP and other new profiles
- It has music control
- It supports TEMPE
- oHR – naturellement (option)
- CIQ 2 – mais oui.
- ANT+ – doh. But also Bluetooth sensor support. Yep, that’s right. Might take longer to support BTLE PMs
- Slightly higher prices than the F3 but nothing any more, or less, eye-watering.
- Trackback, ultratrac, glonass, EXO, power…yes, yes, yessity, yes, yes.
Missing: With native support of some Bluetooth sensors and native support of BSX/Moxy’s muscle oxygen data it seems strange that RUNNING POWER is not there. More intriguing than strange. I have a conspiracy but in the meantime there’ too much excitement here about the new Fenix 5 to worry about those (yet 😉 )
You can see from the comparison below that the products appear feature-similar other than the additional features at the end and some of the hardware specifications
|Fenix 5||Fenix 5s||Fenix 3 Sapphire||Fenix Chronos|
|$599.99 USD and Up||$599.99 USD and Up||$549.99 USD and Up||$899.99 USD and Up|
|Physical dimensions||1.9” x 1.9” x 0.6” (47.0 x 47.0 x 15.5 mm)||1.7” x 1.7” x 0.6” (42.0 x 42.0 x 14.5 mm)||2.0” x 2.0” x 0.6” (51.5 x 51.5 x 16.0 mm)||1.9″ x 1.9″ x 0.6″ (49 x 49 x 15 mm)|
|Display size, WxH||1.2” (30.5 mm) diameter||1.1” (27.94 mm) diameter||1.2” (30.4 mm) diameter||1.2” x 1.2″ (30.4 x 30.4 mm)|
|Display resolution, WxH||240 x 240 pixels; sunlight-visible, always-on, low power, colorful display||218 x 218 pixels; sunlight-visible, always-on, low power, colorful display||218 x 218 pixels; transflective MIP color; sapphire lens||218 x 218 pixels; transflective MIP color; sapphire lens|
|Negative mode display||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Weight||With silicone band: 3.0 oz (85.0 g); Sapphire version: 3.1 oz (87.0 g)||With silicone band: 2.4 oz (67.0 g)||Titanium, titanium band: 4.8 oz (134.8 g); Titanium, silicone band: 2.8 oz (78.2 g)||Steel with leather band: 3.31 oz (94 g)|
|Gray, leather strap: 3.0 oz (84.9 g)||Steel with steel band: 6.56 oz (186 g)|
|Black, nylon strap: 2.8 oz (79.6 g)||Titanium with titanium hybrid band: 3.95 oz (112 g)|
|Others: with all links, 6.56 oz (186 g); With rubber bands: 3.0 oz (85 g)|
|Battery||Rechargeable lithium-ion||Rechargeable lithium-ion||Rechargeable 300mAh lithium-ion||Rechargeable 180mAh lithium-ion|
|Battery life||Up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode (depending on settings), up to 24 hours in GPS mode, and up to 100 hours in UltraTrac battery saver mode||Up to 8 days in smartwatch mode (depending on settings), up to 13 hours in GPS mode, and up to 50 hours in UltraTrac™ battery saver mode||Up to 50 hours in UltraTrac mode; up to 20 hours in GPS training mode; up to 6 weeks in watch mode||Up to 25 hours in UltraTrac mode; up to 13 hours in GPS training mode; up to 1 week in watch mode|
|Water Rating||10 ATM||10 ATM||10 ATM||10 ATM|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Maps & Memory|
|Built-in memory||64 MB; available 54 MB||64 MB; available 54 MB||32 MB; available 23 MB||32 MB; available 23 MB|
|Track log||200 hours||200 hours||100 hours of activity data||100 hours of activity data|
|V02 max estimate||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Compatible with Vector™||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Multiple bike profiles||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Bike speed/cadence sensor||Yes (optional)||Yes (optional)||Yes (optional)||Yes (optional)|
|Heart rate monitor||Yes (wrist-based)||Yes (wrist-based)||Yes (Some versions)||Yes (wrist-based)|
|Virtual Partner® (train against a digital person)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Virtual Racer™ (compete against other activities)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Courses (compete against previous activities)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Pause® (pauses and resumes timer based on speed)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Lap® (automatically starts a new lap)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Scroll (cycles through data pages during workout)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auto multisport (switch sport modes with 1 button press)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced workouts (create custom, goal-oriented workouts)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pace alert (triggers alarm if you vary from preset pace)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Time/distance alert (triggers alarm when you reach goal)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Interval training (set up exercise and rest intervals)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Heart rate-based calorie computation||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Calculates calories burned||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Power meter compatible||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pool swim metrics||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Stroke type identification||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Open water swim metrics||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Sun and moon information||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Activity Tracking Features|
|Additional||Connect IQ™ app support: Yes (watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)||Connect IQ™ app support: Yes (watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)||Connect IQ™ app support: Yes (watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)||Connect IQ™ app support: Yes (watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps)|
|EXO™ antenna (GPS/GLONASS): Yes||EXO™ antenna (GPS/GLONASS): Yes||EXO™ antenna (GPS/GLONASS): Yes||EXO™ antenna (GPS/GLONASS): Yes|
|Wi-Fi®: Yes (Sapphire versions only)||Wi-Fi®: Yes (Sapphire versions only)||Wi-Fi®: Yes|
|ANT+®: Yes (all versions)||ANT+®: Yes (all versions)||ANT+®: Yes||ANT+®: Yes|
|Bluetooth®: Low Energy (all versions)||Bluetooth®: Low Energy (all versions)||Bluetooth® 4.0 LE: Yes||Bluetooth® 4.0 LE: Yes|
|Training Effect 2.0 (measures impact of an activity on your aerobic & anaerobic fitness): Yes||Training Effect 2.0 (measures impact of an activity on your aerobic & anaerobic fitness): Yes||Weather Alerts: Yes||Weather Alerts: Yes|
|Training Load: Yes||Training Load: Yes|
|Training Status: Yes||Training Status: Yes|
|Lactate Threshold: Yes||Lactate Threshold: Yes|
|Weather Alerts: Yes||Weather Alerts: Yes|
|UltraTrac: Yes||UltraTrac: Yes||UltraTrac: Yes||UltraTrac: Yes|
|tempe™ sensor support: Yes||tempe™ sensor support: Yes|
|TracBack: Yes||TracBack: Yes||TracBack: Yes||TracBack: Yes|
|Ski features: Yes||Ski features: Yes||Ski features: Yes||Ski features: Yes|
|Physiological measurements: Yes||Physiological measurements: Yes||Physiological measurements: Yes||Physiological measurements: Yes|
|SUP/Rowing: Yes||SUP/Rowing: Yes||SUP/Rowing: Yes||SUP/Rowing: Yes|
|Foot pod: yes (optional)||Foot pod: yes (optional)||Foot pod: yes (optional)||Foot pod: yes (optional)|
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.