The CLIMB is a small, missing part in the overall SMART TRAINER experience. In a nutshell: the CLIMB lifts the front of the bike up or down a bit.
For may cyclists this will be trivial. However, muscles are used differently as the incline/grade changes so this add-on for the KICKR and SNAP trainers will certainly appeal to those facing challenging hills in their target races.
The CLIMB will also appeal to those who want a more realistic ‘game’ feeling when cycling/training with ZWIFT.
I suppose also simulating the feel of different road surfaces or responding to steering changes could also be included at some point. However I would class those as mostly ‘gimmicky’ and they are not included in the CLIMB in any case.
It’s RRP is Eu500/$600/£450 so it’s not cheap. However this will most likely be a low volume (but quality) device and hence the price is not unexpected and I’m sure the intended target market will have no qualms about that price for another new, but functional, toy.
It’s a great idea but probably not for me.
- Max Incline: 20% Max Decline: -10%
- Metrics: Current Grade
- Dimensions: H 25.75” W 5.1” L 17” (65.4cm x 12.95cm x 43.18cm)
- Supported Hubs: QR, 12×100, 15×100, 15×110
- Wireless Software Updates: Yes
- 3rd Party App Compatible: Yes, when paired to a KICKR or KICKR SNAP
- KICKR Controlled: KICKR CLIMB pairs directly to KICKR or KICKR SNAP. This connection enables the Wahoo Smart Trainers to control the KICKR CLIMB.
- Proximity Pairing: Use the KICKR CLIMB’s remote to quickly pair to your KICKR or KICKR SNAP.
- CLIMB Modes:
- Unlock Mode allows the CLIMB to react to grade changes from external sources such as Zwift or TrainerRoad, or from your ELEMNT or ELEMNT BOLT GPS bike computer. L
- Lock Mode ensures the KICKR CLIMB will only respond to commands received from the remote.
- Remote Control: KICKR CLIMB’s remote attaches to your handlebars so you can adjust the grade manually with a simple press of a button. When not in use, the remote conveniently stores away in the top of the KICKR CLIMB.
- 3rd Party Compatibility: When paired to a KICKR or KICKR SNAP, the KICKR CLIMB can match grade changes from select training platforms including Zwift and TrainerRoad.
- ELEMNT Compatibility: Connect an ELEMNT or ELEMNT BOLT to your KICKR and KICKR CLIMB system to relive the ascents and descents from your favorite rides or routes while training indoors.
- Bicycle Compatibility: In addition to standard quick release hubs, KICKR CLIMB also supports 12×100, 15×100, and 15×110 thru axle hubs.
Buy CLIMB by clicking the image below or clicking here: link to wahoofitness.com
————— Here’s the press release ——————————————————
(London – 30th August, 2017) – Wahoo Fitness, the leader in workout apps and connected fitness devices, has today announced the launch of the all-new KICKR CLIMB indoor trainer grade simulator – an innovative new product that adds physical grade changes to indoor rides on the new KICKR Smart Trainers, taking riders to new heights in indoor training.
“The world we ride in isn’t flat, which is why we believed the indoor riding experience on the KICKR should follow suit,” says Wahoo Fitness CEO Chip Hawkins. “And as we continue to keep Wahoo at the leading edge of innovation in this category, we’re proud to quite literally take structured climbing workouts and virtual course rides to the next level,” continues Hawkins.
When paired with the new KICKR and KICKR SNAP Smart Trainers, the KICKR CLIMB responds to workout and virtual course data in real-time, mimicking real roads and mountain climbs by raising and lowering the front fork of the rider’s bike to match ascents up to 20%, and descents of -10%.* These real grade changes create a more immersive virtual riding experience while also engaging climbing muscles and improving pedalling technique to enable the rider to become a more efficient and powerful climber.
In addition to reacting to grade changes from external sources like Zwift, TrainerRoad, or from pre-loaded routes on Wahoo’s ELEMNT & ELEMNT BOLT GPS cycling computers, the KICKR CLIMB can be ‘locked,’ wherein it only responds to commands received from the bar-mounted remote, enabling the rider to manually adjust the grade with the simple press of a button.
The latest versions of the KICKR and KICKR SNAP Smart Trainers have been optimised to allow dynamic movement, creating an unmatched indoor training system. The smooth, intuitive feel of the KICKR’s legendary flywheel combined with the actual grade changes created by the KICKR CLIMB make for a truly immersive indoor riding experience. The KICKR CLIMB supports a wide range of modern hub configurations, including quick-release, 12×100, 15×100, and 15×110 thru axle hubs.
The KICKR CLIMB Indoor Trainer Grade Simulator will be available this Autumn at select specialty retailers and on WahooFitness.com for £449.99.