Polar Vantage V2 Gets Power Updates
As promised, Polar has delivered new Power functions that complete the running power offering on the recently-released Vantage V2.
The newest feature that more of us will use will be the zone pointers for power and speed zones, these are mixed-format charts with numbers and a gauge to show you current zone for running/cycling. This feature works well alongside the existing Zone Lock capability and merely adds new metrics to the HR ZONE POINTER that was already available.
The more important but less widely used new feature will be the addition of phased training targets based on POWER. This provides credibility to Polar’s seriousness. Initially, this is only available to configure via the smartphone app with the desktop side of it coming on stream early next year.
It’s a little disappointing that the desktop side of power target creation isn’t ready now but, for me, the app-based workaround is fine. Putting that to one side, this new feature effectively fills the gaps in Polar running-with-power offering. It’s now complete, although lesser features will hopefully continue to be added.
Vantage 1 owners will likely be fuming that their watches haven’t got this update and rightly so, in my opinion. They bought a top-end watch and it’s not unreasonable to expect a feature set to be properly completed.
Other Polar News
In other Polar new, the Flow service is discontinuing the FEED in January 2021. #Shrug
Even More Polar News
The H10 also has a minor update which improves connectivity with Polar BEAT and cached workouts.
You Guessed it – MORE Polar News
You can now share training sessions with friends as a link from FLOW.
Here are the full details of that firmware release
Polar Vantage V2 – Firmware Version number: 2.0.6
Detailed Improvements/fixes in this release:
- Create simple training targets based on power
- ZonePointer for power and speed zones (Power limits data field or Speed/pace ZonePointer data field)
- Last lap details training views
- Turn off watch and Reset all data and settings (factory reset) functions added
- Your name watch face view added
- You can now manually skip a phase during a phased training session
- You can see your distance covered and time elapsed when pausing a session
- You can silence a phone call from the watch
- Other bug fixes and quality improvements