Forerunner 955 and 255 coming in June
- Barometer – FR245 does not have a barometer and so can’t produce Garmin’s existing Running Power from CIQ. Hopefully, this confirms native running power.
- Morning Report (Morning Readiness?)- This confirms other intel I’ve had a while back on a readiness-to-train metric a-la Whoop/Oura. There will probably be other vitals in there similar to the Daily Snapshot that can be manually taken on the Epix 2/Fenix 7. Or it might simply be the daily snapshot!
- ” need an external device for it. [running power]” from one reading, this seems to confirm that Garmin is releasing a new running pod. Probably like Stryd but which uses the barometer on the watch
- this means you have to buy a high-end Garmin for it to work! (as is currently the case)
- this may finally mean native running power (which is a BIG change for the Garmin ecosystem)…or it may not.
- on the other hand, this may mean you need either HRM-PRO or the RD-POD as is the case at present for the CIQ Power. ie the 255 is simply compatible with an existing garmin ciq app
- Another leak based on the FCC filing shows that FR255 will have Garmin PAY.
Reflecting on the prices, below, it looks like the current price for the FR245music of $350 might be matched? I’d be surprised. I would expect a price rise for FR255M to $400, ie to take into account the larger size and the inflation that we’ll see over the next couple of years. Maybe Garmin is getting generous in their old age?
Similarly, with the 955 Solar, there should be a $/Eu100 (£90) premium for solar charging
Yesterday I visited a running store in Germany and got a short look on Garmins mail to retailers. According to it :
Forerunner 955 and 255 launch June 1st
Forerunner 955 comes with a solar option for 650€ (mail said 699 but Garmin apparently already cut the price tag)
Regular 955 for 550€ (Mail said 599 but Garmin cut the price tag since)
Forerunner 255 (music) for 400€ (could be 50 less not sure)
Forerunner 255 (no music) for 350€ (Could be 50 less not sure)
All models will feature running power but need an external device for it.
No surprise: Fenix/Epix feature Stamina is on board
One new main feature was something called “morning report”… Or something like that. Don’t remember it too well. Something related to the sleep tracking.
Don’t remember anything display related but I guess if it was Amoled like Epix I would have remembered it 🤔
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners (which costs you no extra) and, for that, I receive a small commission. Thank you! This really is reader-powered content.
FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.